cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed - DLO 7.0 to 7.6 upgrade

localhost
Level 2

*** Moved to new discussion from Symantec Desktop Laptop Option 7.6 is now available! ****

Hello All,

I would like to upgrade DLO 7.0 to 7.6.

I will do this in stages since we have 4 MGMT or Admin Servers.
I will start with the one on my LAN first. At the moment, my main goal is to upgrade from 7.0 to 7.6.
Basically migrate the basic user profiles and related settings.
We do not have anything fancy such as throttling except the connection policies when the agent is not on the native LAN to limit network bandwidth, which does not work properly at the moment (I do not mean to sound negative ;).

Any suggestions how I can improve the connection policies?

On the other hand, should I consider throttling and does it work good in 7.6?
I am trying to limit bandwidth or maybe not even allow network backups over WAN and only let the agent perform local backups (We have maybe 40% end user traveling between the offices).

Any suggestions? Are there any suggestions and/or documents/links how to do it.

Do I need to backup and specific directories where the settings reside such as SQL Server's DLO instance or else?

This is my first post here and I hope I did not spammed this thread. I appreciate your input.

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

SDLO 7.6 has more stable network throttling as compared to SDLO 7.0. Though, would you elaborate more on "limit network bandwidth, which does not work properly at the moment".

Addtionally, under the Connection Policies tab, there is an option to disable network backup and you can specify a certain IP address range.

The upgrade process will backup the DLO database. Have a look @ these KBs -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH223671

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH223552

localhost
Level 2
Quoted from VJware "Though, would you elaborate more on "limit network bandwidth, which does not work properly at the moment"." ------------------------------------------------------------- Under DLO's Profile Settings, I created a Connection Policy for the specific profile and it looks like this: *Connection Type: IP Address Range* *Computers that ARE NOT in this IP Address Range* *IPv4 10.11.20.0 to 10.11.20.255* *Limit Network Bandwidth Usage to 10 KB/Sec* ------------------------------------------------------------- Now, what I am trying to do is this: Limit or even not perform Network Backups only when the Agent is not on the Subnet/Network where the DLO DB and Data Store are located. ------------------------------------------------------------- Maybe I am not understanding the Connection Policies and how they work, however, I assumed it would limit the Network Bandwidth if this policy was set (Maybe set properly). I am only able to test a handful agents from time to time, using a Network Monitoring Tools, I am seeing the throughput of at least 50-80 KB/Sec. What is the best way to completely stop Network Backups when an Agent does not reside on it's native LAN. By native, I mean where the DLO DB and DLO Data Store are located? Thank you for your help.

VJware
Level 6

If the aim is to prevent backups to the NUDF when the agent is on the preferred subnet/network, it is better to choose the option to disable the network backup instead of limiting the bandwidth.

Additionally, what is chosen under Backup Throttling - Enhanced Throttling tab of the Profile ?

localhost
Level 2

Quoted from VJware
"Additionally, what is chosen under Backup Throttling - Enhanced Throttling tab of the Profile ?"

Basic Throttling is grayed out and by default <Yield bandwidth to other programs> is checked. 
High Bandwidth Settings <Limit Network Bandwidth Statically> + <Yield Bandwidth to other programs> is checked. 

VJware
Level 6

I believe the bandwidth setting under the Throttling tab is overriding the bandwidth setting under the Connection Policy tab.

If the ultimate aim is to disable the network backup when users are not in a particular network, it would be simpler to choose that option under connection policies.

Addiitonally, there was an issue with SDO 7.0 regarding connection policies and throttling. I would recommend to install SDLO 7.6 in a test environment and check if your connection policies work as expected or not.