Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 SP4 and Lotus Notes Archive file Backup

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi Guys

My current environment is as follows:

BE2012 SP4 and Symantec DLO 7.5 SP1  running on a Windows 2003 Server. 

My Question is regarding Archive file backup in the DLO 7.5.

On the profile i have setup, in Backup Selection and Revision Control, i have setup for only 1 Revision control, because otherwise the archive file would run continously. What i would like to achieve is as follows:

Atleast 3 revisions of the file, but it should keep the oldest one for atleast 1 year, and keep the other to update, but atleast 1 or 2 months apart. 

I recently had an incident where users archive file got corrupted, but i was unable to restore an older version, which was very annoying. He had 2 revisions but both of them were like a day or two apart. Please help me setup this correctly. 

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Moved to the DLO forum

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have set the message level incremental backup of Notes, then only 1 revision will be maintained.

If not, you can set multiple revisions, however I wouldn't recommend the manner which you prefer as you are limiting the number of backups and setting a very large time window between 2 revisions.

It's instead better to backup the NUDF storage on a regular basis using a product like BE or NBU and retain these backup sets as per your preference.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi VJware. You mean setting up a backup job in BE2012 to take backup of the archive files which DLO 7.5 has already taken backup off? sounds crazy?

VJware
Level 6

Not just the archive files, but your actual NUDF itself. Consider a scenario where the server/storage hosting the NUDF goes down. As a good DR practice, best to backup the NUDF & the DLO server as well on a regular basis.

Second scenario is to consider per your setting "Atleast 3 revisions of the file, but it should keep the oldest one for atleast 1 year, and keep the other to update, but atleast 1 or 2 months apart. "

A revision is created when a file is changed. If you would like to have the oldest revision for atleast 1 year, it means the gap between the second revision is 1 year and you wouldn't have any backup of the changes in this 1 year time period.

Instead, lets say you specify 3 revision with 24 hours difference. And you backup the NUDF as well using a product like Backup Exec. Then using Backup Exec, you can restore the NUDF to a point in time where the 1 year old revision was present and then using DLO restore the archive.

RicohNorway
Level 5

NUDF folder is only needed if user has lost his data on his computer, and chances are very little that both backup server and user computer collapse at the same time, only in this situation a backup of NUDF would become handy, hence i do not take backup of the backed up data from DLO such as NUDF etc. 

It is very annoying that only this solution would provide me with what i need. I might end up with backing up just the archive files thru Backup Exec, instead of whole NUDF folder.

VJware
Level 6

Well, DLO is not a regular backup/recovery solution like Backup Exec, Netbackup etc. It's meant for a continuous protection of user data to disk and the retention settings are very different.  Per your expectations of retaining a backup file (Atleast 3 revisions of the file, but it should keep the oldest one for atleast 1 year, and keep the other to update, but atleast 1 or 2 months apart.", this is not something DLO is meant for.