cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup source path: d: - is not for a local fixed drive

satish_munduru
Level 3

Hi,

I use symantec DLO for some of my users.  One user has a partitioned Hard disk on his machine, C:\ and D:\.

D:\ is where the user stores his data.  Using windows 8.

DLO continuously gives me an error stating that it cannot backup d:\ as it is not a local fixed drive. 

"Backup source path: d: - is not for a local fixed drive. "

Does anyone know why DLO has decided that this is not a local fixed drive?

Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How are the backup selections of your profile configured ?

This usually happens if the backup selection includes files on any other drive apart from C: drive, and some of the client machines do not have any such drive configured.

Create a separate profile for the users which has data to be backed up on any other drive apart from C: drive. So in your case, create a profile for all users who has D: drive in their system and data on D: drive needs to be backed up for them.

satish_munduru
Level 3

Thanks for the reply VJware,

we are having 50 machine, in some machine had only c: drive and some machine having d: and e: drive.

We created a profile with backup selection all including  c: , d: and e: drive.

DLO continuously gives me an error stating that it cannot backup d:\ as it is not a local fixed drive. 

"Backup source path: d: - is not for a local fixed drive. "

Does anyone know why DLO has decided that this is not a local fixed drive?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As mentioned earlier, create separate backup profiles with separate backup selections.

So for clients, with only C: drive, create a profile with backup selection only as C:\

For other clients with D: and E:, create another profile with backup selection only as D:\ and E:\

This error occurs usually due to two reasons. One, the drive does not appear as "local" in the device manager and second, due to the backup selections.