Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect DLO clients to new Maintenance Server

nigelg
Level 4

Good day all.

I have DLO 7.5 with almost 50 Clients.

My Maintenance Server just died and now I have this 50 Clients unable to backup their documents.

Now I have a new Maintenance Server with DLO 7.5 SP1 and the Question is:

How do I connect these 50 clients too this new Maintenance Server?

Can't seem to find a document or procedure to do this.

Thanks a lot.

10 REPLIES 10

Santhosh_Bhanda
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Check DLO administrator guide content "Adding a New Maintenance Server" to configure new maintenance server.

If new maintaiance server is on different machine other than storage location then follow the DLO Admin guide content "Configuring a Maintenance Server for Delegation" after configuring new maintenance server.

Thanks,
Santosh.

nigelg
Level 4

Hello.

These procedures are to be applied to an existing DLO console...

There is no existing console, that console is DEAD.

I just created a New DLO Server with different Hostname.

The Whole DLO installation, Maint server, storage location and DDupe storage locations reside in the same server.

DLO Clients All point to the DEAD Maint Server.

How do I reconfigure each DLO Client to point to the NEW DLO Server.

Can you explain further?

Thanks a lot.

Santhosh_Bhanda
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Can you please clarify below queries:

1. Is it standalone installation or remote database installation of DLO?
2. Do you have a backup of DLO and Dedupe database files from old server?
3. Is both DLO(NUDF) and Dedupe storage locations(DSL) still present where all users backed up their data previously?

Thanks,
Santosh.

nigelg
Level 4

1. Standalone

2. No

3. DLO (NUDF) you mean the folders that the DLO Clients create on the server when backing up? Those are still present, there is no Desktop User Data Folder, that was disabled. There was NO Dedupe Storage Location.

Thanks.

nigelg
Level 4

On point 3. I just have those directories Backed Up ( I just copied and pasted those directories on to another File Server so I don't Know if those directories are valid.

Thanks a lot.

nigelg
Level 4

Any Ideas anyone?

Checking on the Forums i've found this Information from a Symantec Engineer called Perry Baker.

Unfortunately if click on the link it says that Doc isn't available.

Can you bring that up Santhosh?

Thanks.

2) Move selected users to use another server all together:
How to manually change the Desktop and Laptop Option clients to use a different media server
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263635
This TechNote that is for 10d, so the folder structure is and registry info is not the same anymore. You will want to substitute Symantec registry keys and directories where applicable.

Santhosh_Bhanda
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Move User process can be done from the old DLO Administrators server machine, but it is not there in your case.

So better uninstall all agents and reinstall connecting to new server.

Retoring Old data:

DLO stores security information in database which will help in restoring the data. As that security information is lost so the only way to restore the old data is by emergency restore.

For more information regarding Emergency Restore follow the DLO Administrator's Guide content "EmergencyRestore command".

Thanks,
Santosh

nigelg
Level 4

I have 50 DLO Clients, this means I am going to have to do 50 Uninstallations / Reinstallations?¡?

There is no other way?

Reg entries I can modify, Some tool you guys have or something less painful?

Thanks.

Santhosh_Bhanda
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Change following registry entries on all DLO Agent machines:

HKLM->software->Symantec->Symantec DLO->Client-> "DefualtMediaServer" -- To the new server hostname
HKLM-Software->Symantec->Symantec DLO->DB-> "DBServer" -- To the new server hostname
HKLM-Software->Symantec->Symantec DLO->DB-> "DBInstance" -- To new database instance name.

If the OS bitness is 64 bit and mail client in 32 bit then these registry entries will be present under path "HKLM->software->WOW6432Node->Symantec->Symantec DLO".

After changing the registry values delete .settings folder present under path "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Symantec\DLO\.settings"  and launch the client.

Thanks,
Santosh.

allenjamieson
Level 3

you could change one machines registry and export this to a file that can be run

or

using the new console, push out the new agent and this should take the settings with it, (i think its Tools, install agents, import a list of your machines from txt file)

have a look at "updating the agents" on this tech doc http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-updgrade-dlo-75