cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 7.5 - Hidden Restore tree

DAVID_B_LMS
Level 3

Hi,

I have installed DLO 7.5 (in test mode) with remote SQL Server.

Application Server and Databse are Windows 2008 r2, and SQL Server is SQL 2008 r2.

As I am not administrator of the database server and for security and performance reason, the database has been moved to another location than the default one, and the account for SQL Service is not the same as the one for DLO Admin Service (I know that it should be as a prerequisites by Symantec) but I cannot.

So after some problem (change registry for database location, manually add rights on databse etc...), I can launch the console, configure Profiles/Users/Storage... and i can use DLO from Client (Backup/Restore)

But I still have a problem. When I click on Restore tab, It's very long to display and I cannot expand the computer to see the files to restore.
I can use the menu "Search a file to restore" and I can restore form Client, so it not seems to be a rights problem on the Storage.

The DLO Admin account got db_owner and DLO_Administrator rights on the database, and I verified the rights on all storage.
I have 3 laptop in test and I cannot expand none of them.

Is anyone got an idea ?

thanks

David

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If one is unable to view files on the DLO Admin console for restore, it's either an issue with the DLO Administrator permissions or an issue with the encryption keys.

When one is restoring from the DLO Administration console, it retrieves the encryption keys from the DLO DB. Best way to check if there is a problem with this, try using another restore method. This one is called Emergency Restore method and it uses the encryption keys from the NUDF.

Have a look @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23625

Lastly, do ensure the DLO Administrator which you are using isn't an administrator with limited restore rights.

DAVID_B_LMS
Level 3

Hi and thanks for your response.

Not sure I have all understand or if I have well explain my problem.
It's sertainly due to my english :)

The problem is not the restoration because I can restore from the DLO Agent or with the "Search for files to restore" but for administration it's better to have access to the restore tree in the restore tab.
And up to now, It spent 20 seconds to open the restore tab and the restore tree is unavailable for each laptop in the windows.

I have put a pdf in attach to have print screen of what I explain.

I also confirm that my DLO Admin user has full restore privileges.

Perhaps It's due to encryption key but is it, as I am able to restore with another method.

Thanks,

David

VJware
Level 6

Not just the actual restoration of files, but even the ability to view the restore tree depends upon the DLO Administrator account and its permissions.

Honestly though, I have a guess its due to the DLO Admin service & the SQL instance not sharing the same account. Have a look @ this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189373

DAVID_B_LMS
Level 3

I already check this KB.

Yes I have the same thought but as I have already said, I don't have the choice for the SQL Service account (as I am not the DB Server and database administrator). It has not been easy to install and to have it working properly (or not)

DLO Admin is domain admin
DLO Admin has full restore privileges
DLO Admin is db_owner and DLO_Administrator of the database
DLO Admin got rights on all storage location

I just want to understand what is the difference lauching both services with the same account :)

I will try to request DB Admin launching DB with DLO Admin account for a test but not sure he want and not sure it will be kept after.

thanks

David

VJware
Level 6

Ideally, you should have chosen to install the default SQL instance which comes along with DLO and thereby isolating this instance from your production ones. Makes things simpler :)

I cannot go into detailed internal specifics, however the view which appears in the UI is queried from the DB. Having the same account for 2 different softwares (DLO and SQL in this case) makes lots of things easier.

EDIT**

I just re-read the original post. What type of security & performance reasons caused you to move from the default SQL instance to another one ?

DAVID_B_LMS
Level 3

It was just a move of the database (MDF File) not a move of the default SQL instance.

The Data file are installed by default in C:\program files\symantec\symantec dlo\data

And for performance the DB admin want to have it with the LDF file and the log file on another drives D, E, F

I am going to test Both services (SQL & DLO Admin) with the same account, but it should be good if I could have another solution.

Thanks

I will give you a feedback :)

David