cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 7.5 - Switching from Incremental to VSS PST Backups

burnsey23
Level 2

I am running DLO 7.5 SP1 on a Windows Server 2012 box.  In the past this is how we have ran our PST backups just using incremental. Everything I have read on the forums and articles suggest that the best way to run PST backups is using the VSS backup option.

Here are my questions:

1.If I change over to VSS backups, do I also want to uncheck the box for incremental PST backups?  Is there an advantage to having both options "checked"?  Or will do I really just want to pick VSS?

2.  If I make the change from increamental to VSS, what (if any) changes will my desktop users see?  What will this do?  Will it slow anything down?  What are the effect of making this change over?

3. If I make the change to VSS, do I want to turn on "Delta File Transfer"?  If I turn this on, what changes or downtime will be experienced?

Thanks.

mail options.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1.If I change over to VSS backups, do I also want to uncheck the box for incremental PST backups?  Is there an advantage to having both options "checked"?  Or will do I really just want to pick VSS?

- Only one option should be checked. Having both checked make create an issue with the job settings. VSS is the preferred choice though.

2.  If I make the change from increamental to VSS, what (if any) changes will my desktop users see?  What will this do?  Will it slow anything down?  What are the effect of making this change over?

- End users will not see any changes nor will it slow down anything. This change will trigger VSS backups and in certain cases VSS backup may be slow due to disk throttling. If that's the case, edit the settings as per https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH167369

3. If I make the change to VSS, do I want to turn on "Delta File Transfer"?  If I turn this on, what changes or downtime will be experienced?

- Yes, Delta File Transfer is to be enabled. Again, no noticeable effect on the end-user clients. This will require the Desktop User Data Folder (DUDF) to be enabled on the client machines. The data will be first backed up to the DUDF. Changes are computed and then only the changed portions of the file are sent across the network to the Network User Data Folder (NUDF). The change computation doesn't add any additional overhead.

For VSS method, these are certain requirements -

1) Delta File Transfer must be enabled. This in turn requires the DUDF to be enabled on the end-user machine.

2) Atleast 1 revision must be set on both DUDF & NUDF.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

- Only one option should be checked. Having both checked make create an issue with the job settings. VSS is the preferred choice though.

- End users will not see any changes nor will it slow down anything. This change will trigger VSS backups and in certain cases VSS backup may be slow due to disk throttling. If that's the case, edit the settings as per https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH167369

- Yes, Delta File Transfer is to be enabled. Again, no noticeable effect on the end-user clients. This will require the Desktop User Data Folder (DUDF) to be enabled on the client machines. The data will be first backed up to the DUDF. Changes are computed and then only the changed portions of the file are sent across the network to the Network User Data Folder (NUDF). The change computation doesn't add any additional overhead.

For VSS method, these are certain requirements -

1) Delta File Transfer must be enabled. This in turn requires the DUDF to be enabled on the end-user machine.

2) Atleast 1 revision must be set on both DUDF & NUDF.