Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 7.6 Dedupe Backups vs Non-Dedup Backups

InsentraCameron
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

I am still fairly new to DLO 7.6. I have a few questions:

1. If I am reading correctly a profile configured for dedupe cannot be configed for local backups (LUDF). Is this correct?

2. Non-dedupe backups require Admin service + maintenance service. Is this correct?

3. Dedupe backups require Admin service + Dedupe service. Is this correct?

4. A user can have either a profile for figured for dedupe or non-dedupe backups (LUDF and NUDF). What would be the use cases for each?

Cheers,

Cameron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) No as a LUDF is needed when DeDupe profile is configured. DeDupe occurs only when the file is completely new, meaning the first revision of the file will be deduplicated. Once this file changes, the backup mode switches from DeDupe to Delta. And Delta mode requires the DUDF (Desktop User Data Folder) as the delta changes are first computed on the DUDF and then copied over to the NUDF (Network User Data Folder).

2 & 3) The DLO Admin service & the maintenance service are required always whether DeDupe is being used or not. If DeDupe is being used, then the DeDupe services come into the picture.

4) DeDupe helps in saving the network storage space (and thereby reduces the data transfer over the network) & is beneficial especially when multiple copies of a file exists across clients.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6

1) No as a LUDF is needed when DeDupe profile is configured. DeDupe occurs only when the file is completely new, meaning the first revision of the file will be deduplicated. Once this file changes, the backup mode switches from DeDupe to Delta. And Delta mode requires the DUDF (Desktop User Data Folder) as the delta changes are first computed on the DUDF and then copied over to the NUDF (Network User Data Folder).

2 & 3) The DLO Admin service & the maintenance service are required always whether DeDupe is being used or not. If DeDupe is being used, then the DeDupe services come into the picture.

4) DeDupe helps in saving the network storage space (and thereby reduces the data transfer over the network) & is beneficial especially when multiple copies of a file exists across clients.

InsentraCameron
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

That was very helpful. What would be the key reason someone would choose not to use dedupe? I would think that dedupe backups would be the best default solution.

VJware
Level 6

DeDupe enabled backups are indeed recommended in DLO & there aren't many reasons for the backups not to be dedupe enabled.

Such reasons are usually due to the fact there isn't much benefit of enabling dedupe (instead of DeDupe being a disadvantage). For egs: if there aren't copies of files (.psts) or if the backups aren't being retained for a long period, then the advantage of DeDupe isn't being realised.