cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 8.0 SP2 to DLO 9.3 - Question about the DLO Client

Zeeman28a
Level 3

Hello.

Looking to upgrade my DLO.  Does anyone know, do I have to upgrade my clients at the same time or will the DLO8 clients work with 9.3?  This way it will give me time to upgrade the clients.

It would be nice if the DLO had a way to push the upgrade out to existing clients.

Thanks.

Stan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

P_Jeal
Employee

Hello Stan,

It is always advised to update all DLO Agents to the same version as the DLO Server, as you have to consider that the backups are being carried out by the client machines, writing direct to the storage. If there are changes in the Dedupe or BOI functionality in that version, the clients may not be writing data in a compatible format if the Agents have not been updated to that new functionality.

You mentioned about having the ability to 'Push' Agent upgrades to the clients, but the product does have that. Besides the Local Install, that would be carried out at the client itself, there are several ways the upgrade can be initiated remotely;

• Push Install from the DLO Admin console (individually or as a batch)
  • Auto Upgrade feature (for Agents v8.0 SP3 and above), where notifications are sent to all clients and they acknowledge to upgrade.
  • Send updates to the users via CommandLine utility (dlocommandu -update - publish)

I would recommend reviewing the 'Updating the Desktop Agent' section (Chapter 1; pages 54-57) of the DLO 9.3 Administrator's Guide for guidance on how to use these; https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/DLO_93_Admin .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

P_Jeal
Employee

Hello Stan,

It is always advised to update all DLO Agents to the same version as the DLO Server, as you have to consider that the backups are being carried out by the client machines, writing direct to the storage. If there are changes in the Dedupe or BOI functionality in that version, the clients may not be writing data in a compatible format if the Agents have not been updated to that new functionality.

You mentioned about having the ability to 'Push' Agent upgrades to the clients, but the product does have that. Besides the Local Install, that would be carried out at the client itself, there are several ways the upgrade can be initiated remotely;

• Push Install from the DLO Admin console (individually or as a batch)
  • Auto Upgrade feature (for Agents v8.0 SP3 and above), where notifications are sent to all clients and they acknowledge to upgrade.
  • Send updates to the users via CommandLine utility (dlocommandu -update - publish)

I would recommend reviewing the 'Updating the Desktop Agent' section (Chapter 1; pages 54-57) of the DLO 9.3 Administrator's Guide for guidance on how to use these; https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/DLO_93_Admin .

I know I should update to the latest, the question is, do I have to.  At over 100 computers to visit, this will take time.  Time I don't want users to be without a backup.

I am running 8.0 SP2.  Nowhere do I have the ability to push the client to users.  In fact, the DLO server even says:

"The Desktop Agent must be installed from the desktop computer."

See attached image for a screenshot of the message.

veritas_dlo.JPG

So I have to wonder if version 9 will allow the backups to still work on users laptops while the new client is rolled out, even if automatic, will the backup still run with the older client with the new server.  I don't use the dedupe feature.  This is just the client connecting to the server and performing a backup to a diskpool.

Thanks.

Stan.

FYI.

veritas_dlo2.JPG

Although it should ideally work, there are references to some intermittent backup failures as per the known issues of the 8.0 SP2 version. So it is better to upgrade to the latest version to avoid any such cases.

Regarding Push installation, the highlighted content is indeed misleading. However, DLO does support Push installation and the same is specified in the screenshot as well – which is the second option under Windows that talks about Tools->Install agents on remote computers.

You may want to refer to the "Updating the Desktop Agent" section from Page 54 of the Administrator’s Guide available here: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/DLO_93_Admin, for more details.

Hope this helps !!