cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 9.5 trial install fail: "SQL Express installation failed. Installation will Terminate"

pacificbees
Level 3

Installing on brand new test vm in vsphere. Vm is Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Enterprise. 

I am full admin, I’m installing the setup as admin.

Created an AD User for the DLO Service account; gave it local admin privileges on the DLO server.

Made sure WMI service was running as it says during start of setup.

Towards end: SQL Express installation failed.

Tried it again after rebooting, no dice.

Tried again after rolling back to clean snapshot in vsphere… no dice.

Please see attached screenshot. Google hasn't turned up anything. ??

Thanks Voxers. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

P_Jeal
Employee

I am pleased to hear you managed to establish the cause. I assume that allowed you to complete the installation of DLO successfully now ?

I have checked into this and was able to reproduce the issue seen, so have raised this with our Engineering team. They have confirmed there appears to be an issue with the string passed for the creation of the SQL instance and any data after a space is being seen as a separate parameter and fails the installation. The workaround is, as you established, to change the AD account password not to have a space in that, for the purposes of the installation. If that is required, that could be changed back again after the installation has completed and Properties of the services using that account, manually changed to enter the password with space(s) again.

We currently do not have any article or recommendations on passwords criteria, but an article will be raised detailing this issue and the Engineering team have committed to resolve this in the release of DLO due later in the year (there is a version due very soon, but unfortunately we will be unable to include this change in that release).

View solution in original post

pacificbees
Level 3

Yes, thanks. I also reported this to one of your Product Managers who is providing some info on DLO while we demo this for enterprise usage. I would still recommend mentioning pw criteria somewhere, like the Admin Guide if nowhere else - eg "All DLO server pw criteria is the same as that found in Windows AD". 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

P_Jeal
Employee

When the installation fails at that point, it is likely something to do with installing\generating the SQLinstance itself and that is using Microsoft SQLExpress installation commands. There are DLO installation logs (DLOInst.log, DLOConsoleInstall.log & DLOInstallSummary<date-time>.txt) that will be written to the C:\Windows path and may have some indication in those, but depending how far it has got, not all may exist yet.

The more likely area to check would be the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log  folder, where there is a Summary.txt, but also a subfolder where there are much more detailed logs. They may more indication where the failure came.

I have tested this myself and know that the process can take a little while, but does complete fully on Win 2019.

Solved. After looking in the SQL error log, it said something like:

"The specified value for SQLSVCPASSWORD is invalid. The expected value type is SqlSecureString."

I had copy/pasted the password directly from the password safe, so that wasn't it. I confirmed my service account was local admin, so that wasn't it. But based on that error, my guess was that there was something up with the password anyhow.

Yep. The DLO service account credentials, for whatever reason, does not like spaces in the password. It doesn't seem to card if the dlo server Admin password has spaces in it, though. What's weird to me is that it doesn't give you any kind of warning about this during the install, it only fails at the end. 

After much Googling, could not find reference to necessary password criteria in any of the DLO admin guides (maybe that's in there but I didn't find it). 

Thanks again for your help. 

P_Jeal
Employee

I am pleased to hear you managed to establish the cause. I assume that allowed you to complete the installation of DLO successfully now ?

I have checked into this and was able to reproduce the issue seen, so have raised this with our Engineering team. They have confirmed there appears to be an issue with the string passed for the creation of the SQL instance and any data after a space is being seen as a separate parameter and fails the installation. The workaround is, as you established, to change the AD account password not to have a space in that, for the purposes of the installation. If that is required, that could be changed back again after the installation has completed and Properties of the services using that account, manually changed to enter the password with space(s) again.

We currently do not have any article or recommendations on passwords criteria, but an article will be raised detailing this issue and the Engineering team have committed to resolve this in the release of DLO due later in the year (there is a version due very soon, but unfortunately we will be unable to include this change in that release).

pacificbees
Level 3

Yes, thanks. I also reported this to one of your Product Managers who is providing some info on DLO while we demo this for enterprise usage. I would still recommend mentioning pw criteria somewhere, like the Admin Guide if nowhere else - eg "All DLO server pw criteria is the same as that found in Windows AD". 

P_Jeal
Employee

Good. I am pleased to hear.

Yes, I understand that the query had reached Engineering via Product Management channels as well, so I can confirm the information was passed on. As to the password criteria suggestion, it is a good idea and I will discuss that with them.

P_Jeal
Employee

For information, an Article has been created that discusses this issue;

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100052384.html

This is being investigated for resolution in a version of DLO released later in the year (not the next release).