cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Maintenance Server

shamee
Level 5

Hi,

I am planning to use DLO 7.5 in multisites with centralized management. As part of this topology, i need to install Mintenance Server at remote site along with DLO Storage and DLO Dedupe storage locations. My question is , can i install DLO Maintenance Server in a Windows Storage Server NAS box (HP)? Or do I need a Windows Server its self for Maintenance Server?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I don't work for SYmantec, and I mentioned what their SCL said. The Windows Server family is supported...

Read below:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/what-windows-storage-server-213357

It looks like it is simply a licensed version for OEMs.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shamee
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for this links. But my question is not answered in that. To save one box in remote locations, I will use Windows NAS Box (HP box with Windows Storagae Server as OS). Storage location and Maintenence Server role will need be implemented in this. Will DLO Maintenance Server Roll be supported in Windows Storagae Server OS? Please confirm. Thanks.

CraigV

The Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2 family is listed on the DLO Compatibility Matrix...you can download this and verify this.

As such, I would assume that it supports the Windows Storage Server OS.

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

Hi,

Can you suggest some typical specification? Normal Windows Server OS Vs Windows Storage Server in terms of performance. I dont want to invest for Windows Server (for Maintenance Server) and NAS Box (for DLO storage and Dedupe Storage).

Regards,

CraigV

...to be honest, I can't. Haven't had experience with WIndows Storage Server...it's got a number of additional features, and would probably require the same RAM/CPU/disk as normal Windows.

The question above is more of a MS query.

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

But Symantec can tell  whether NAS or SAN or normal server share is the prefferd one ...  right?

CraigV

...I don't work for SYmantec, and I mentioned what their SCL said. The Windows Server family is supported...

Read below:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/what-windows-storage-server-213357

It looks like it is simply a licensed version for OEMs.

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

Thanks Craig. One question related to this. How about using a pure NAS box (net app or cheaper iOmega etc) for Storage location in small branch locations? I know its not possible to intall Maintenance server in this but for very small location Delta File Transfer is not important. Thanks.

CraigV

...shouldn't be a hassle. I used Iomega NAS's before and they work well-enough.

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

Hi Craig V,

Microsoft says this need to be confimed by ISVs.

Regards,

CraigV

...then I'd recommend opening up a support case with Symantec. Their SCL says that the OS is supported, but once you get a response, please supply an answer and close this off by marking the correct thread.

Thanks!