cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Question: Selective Backup

Willard_Hoppe
Level 4

Is there a way to allow some data to back up locally to the user folder, and some just to the network?

We have large files on the user laptop that we would like backed up, but they are too large to put on the laptop hard drive.

There are other files (such as user documents) that we would like to have on the user hard drive.

Is there a way to have some files only go to the network, but other go to the local user folder and the network?

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is there a way to have some files only go to the network, but other go to the local user folder and the network?

No,to my knowedge...

We do have an option to restrict network backup for files larger than "X" KB in size by creating a new connection policy. But what you are trying to do is exactly opposite to it. With options available currently, disabling desktop data folder is the only option and doing this will result in not meeting your second requirement (saving small files in local drive). 

I suspect symantec have not provided such an option, as most of the customers do not want to transfer large files over network. 

Create an idea to include an option "Disable local backup for files greater than" under desktop agent behaviour in Connection policies. And i do feel it's worth having this option.

For creating an Idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/node/add/idea?add_context=711

ShyamKrishnegow
Level 4
Employee

For an user either you can disable backup to the network by  enabling the option “Profile->BackupThotlling ->Disable backup over network”

Or  You can disable backup over the user folder(DUDF/LUDF) by specifying the “0” revisions in revision control of backup selection folder .

To my knowledge you cannot achieve both for an user.

Willard_Hoppe
Level 4

The reason we need to do this is as follows...

We are a small company, so we allow our employees to use their work machines for personal use.

As such, many o fthem have a good amount of MP3s and pictures on there.

I would like to be able to do a backup of these types of personal files to the network (many have too small of a hard drive) while at the same time maintaining a local and network copy of the smaller work related documents.

Allowing you to select files type at each level would also fix the issue.

SSwami
Level 4
Employee

If the files are present in distinct folders, we can set a revision rule individually to each of these folders. For example:

MyPersonal: This folders contains all personal data

MyOfficical: This folder contains all corporate data

We can set a dudf revsion to "0" for MyPersonal while for MyOfficial you can set the required revision. This will take care of backing up files from MyPersonal only to Nudf, while Myofficial contents will be there in both DUDF and NUDF.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Willard_Hoppe
Level 4

I am not familiar with what this means...

We can set a dudf revsion to "0" for MyPersonal while for MyOfficial you can set the required revision. This will take care of backing up files from MyPersonal only to Nudf, while Myofficial contents will be there in both DUDF and NUDF.

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

First of all you will need to find out which files to backup and which not.

You can simply set global excludes for the files that you don't want to backup. If the Files which are very big and you don't want to include them in your backup that can also be done from the Global excludes as per the size of the file

But as you mentioned that there are very large files for which you don't need to keep a local copy you need to set the revision for such files to "0" on the LUDF/DUDF. For the other files which are basically office related files you can set the revision to as you like on the DUDF and LUDF.

You can create a custom selection for that in the profile e.g D:\MyPersonal and D:\MyOfficial and set the revisions accordingly as stated above.

However, as one user cannot be assigned to two different profile there is no other way than doing what myself and others have recommended.