cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Storage Migration

smithj
Level 6

Hi

What is the fastest way to migrate user NUDFs from one location to another? We want to migrate from a NetApp filer to cDOT storage.

I have tried this out before where the DLO server is based in California and I had to migrate users from Minnesota storage to California storage. It took so long that I ended up deleting the users and recreating them pointed to the new storage location. I believe that this was because of grooming that is carried out on backups.

Is it possible to use the solution in the below link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/dlo-61-migrating-storage-location-one-netapp-new-one

Thanks

Jimmy

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would instead recommend using the DLO command line. Have a look specifically at the -MigrateUserSL command from the Admin Guide.

The above mentioned post is typically used when the storage device does not have a drive letter assigned or is not capable of CIFS. Then one has to manually move each user across by clicking on "Move Network User Data Folder".

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

Would using the -MigrateUserSL command enable a quicker transfer of the NUDFs instead of using the console to do the transfer. What's the difference?

Would it be an option to move the NUDFs from the old storage to the new storage using windows explorer and then delete the user from the console and recreate the user pointing to the new storage? Would this cause problems?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The only difference is the command line offers multiple filters (options) than the console. In terms of speed, it should be the same.

Would it be an option to move the NUDFs from the old storage to the new storage using windows explorer and then delete the user from the console and recreate the user pointing to the new storage? Would this cause problems?

If DeDupe is enabled, then definitely do not use this method. If DeDupe is not enabled, I am not really sure if any problems may arise or not as I haven't tested this, though it does sound plausible but a lengthy method.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

Jimmy