cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Trashbox

DavidsLearning
Level 3

Morning,

I added an external drive for our DLO backups because it was taking a lot of the drive on the server. Anyways, i am only backing up 7 pc's, user profiles only. I had to lower the revision count trying to lower the size of the backups files, but is there a way to get rid of the trachbox, its at a whopping 3.1TBs, i have tried to clean out the trash by going into DLO and selecting delete old files...

Any ideals?

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls provide a screenshot of the folder and its contents which you are trying to delete..

DavidsLearning
Level 3

I cant, but i can tell you the path. its \\NAS\dlobus\trashbox\backups\myaccount

Seems like all of the accounts in the trashbox are tying up a lot of storage(5+TB). If i look at DLO on my pc, only shows about 28gb on the network, when i look at the trashbox for my account 1+TB.

Does DLO not perform maintenance on NAS units? Can these be deleted? I am running out of room

Santhosh_Bhanda
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

DLO will perform the maintenance on the storage location (NAS in your case).

Please clarify the below queries:

1. Mention the version of DLO?

2. If it is SDLO 7.5 or SDLO 7.5 SP1, mention whether dedupe option is enabled for the users.

To answer your concerns:

I have tried to clean out the trash by going into DLO and selecting delete old files...

This feature will work only when source files deleted from backup selections.

There is default duration (Configurable) of 60 days for LUDF and NUDF to clean up the data.

Also you can force delete the data from the NUDF as you did earlier through agent UI.

Refer"Delete_retention_period.png"

I had to lower the revision count trying to lower the size of the backups files..

When you lower the revision count, during next backup of that file the additional revisions will be groomed to the current revision count.

There is one more option revision age, refer admin guide section for more information "Revision Age".

Refer "Revision_age.png"

Thanks,
Santosh.

DavidsLearning
Level 3

I am running 7.5 SP1.

I looked at the date of the files in the trashbox for my account, some go back as far as July 2013, it almost appears as DLO is not performing maintenance. I do not have the de-duepe running currently.

I ended up deleting the file for myself since i dont need anything recovered that was deleted previously. I did this to recover storage since my NAS was at 98% full and i need the others to have space as well as my server needs space for its backup.

How do i get DLO to perform the maintenance? My files retention for deleted files is 30 days.

Also your statement of forcing the delete from the UI is incorrect, i have done that on each user and it only affects the other folder the data is stored in not the trashbox.

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Your maintenance service should groom the files, which means the revisions that are expired or the files thar are deleted from the actual backup location needs to be deleted by the DLO maintenance service.

Pls go to the NUDF and check if old revision or deleted files are really being deleted from the NUDF. This is bit complex as the deletion needs to be authenticated by the user AD id using delegation.

If delegation is not set the DLO maintenance service will never delete the files. Please check and reply if you would to know if you delegation is set or not.

DavidsLearning
Level 3

how do i know if delegation is set or not?

DavidsLearning
Level 3

OK, i found where in AD this is setup, users are correct and NAS is set to trust for delegation.

It appears none of the files are being deleted and it continues to add to it. After deleting my trashbox, it put the 1TB+ worth of data back in. If i also look at the revision count, i am seeing 40+ revisions of the same file.

I think i need to speak with someone about this instead of playing this version of tag, i have not recieved any helpful suggestion from you as far as resolving this issue.

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Please the dlomaintenance service log on your maintenance service, if you see any error then it issue with that service. You will have to log a case with Symantec and they will most probably give you a modified or New bianary for the maintenance service. This issue will not be resolved unless Symantec gives you a matinenace service bainaries.