cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Upgrade from 7.5 to 7.6 with clients on 7.0

smithj
Level 6

Hi

I plan on upgrading my DLO console to 7.6 shortly and was wondering if this would impact the clients in anyway?

Previously I upgraded clients to 7.5 along with the console, but Dedupe, even though it was disabled, was causing a high amount of IOps on our NetApp filer storage when the clients were on agent version 7.5. I had to downgrade all users to agent version 7.0 to resolve this issue.

Has there been any changes made in relation to the operation of Dedupe on version 7.6?

Thanks

Jimmy

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There have been many changes/enhancements in SDLO 7.6, though I am not sure if the DeDupe component itself has been drastically enhanced over version 7.5

This blog gives a quick overview as to what's new in SDLO 7.6 - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/symantec-desktop-laptop-option-76-now-available

Was a support case logged earlier when you were experiencing high IOps with DeDupe even when DeDupe wasn't being used ? Ideally, if DeDupe is disabled, then any DeDupe processing shouldn't occur at all. If a case wasn't logged and you experience the same with SDLO 7.6, I would recommend you to work with Support engineers.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks for the feedback VJware

Yes, a support case was logged when we started having issues with Dedupe after upgrading agents to 7.5. I spent many hours working with the Engineers sending log details back and forth and after such a long time working on it, we decided we had to downgrade all the clients to 7.0, which they're currently still on. I think this only happens for NetApp storage, not windows storage.

If I upgrade the console to 7.6 and upgrade some clients from 7.0 to 7.5 and begin to experience issues, is there a way to restore it back to the previous version?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The DLO Admin server (console & DB) can be restored to previous version. The 7.6 upgrade installer takes a DB backup during the upgrade (or else you can also backup the DB manually) and this backup can be used to restore.

And if you are referring to the restoring of clients back to the prev version, then it can be done only by uninstalling the client, and reinstalling the older version. If you are upgrading the console to 7.6, I would recommend to upgrade the clients as well to 7.6 and not 7.5

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

Jimmy