cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Scenario

SURA
Level 4
In need of solution or answer for these two scenario:

1. If a 100 MB file is modified particularly in 1 MB of the total file size. Will the file gets overwritten or modify the part alone will get changed in the dedupe storage?

2. If two different user save the same file then what will be the output?
5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is how DLO DeDupe works:-

When a new file is backed up the first time, it's broken into chunks and are stored into the DeDupe storage location. Then the reference pointers (metadata of small size) are stored in the Network user data folder (NUDF)

During the next backup, when the file undergoes changes, the "delta" (incremental) portion of the file are stored in the NUDF and the reference pointers (metadata) are updated.

SURA
Level 4

any tech doc regarding this in symantec

VJware
Level 6

Nopes. You wouldn't find a publicly available doc which explains the internal working process/flow for a DLO functionality.

SURA
Level 4

Am in need of symantec dlo dedupe functionality any reference doc form my customer.

Is the ordinary dedupe and symantec dlo dedupe are same.

If same means how can i tell them. Guide me

VJware
Level 6

By ordinary dedupe (if you are referring to the dedupe used by Backup Exec), then its quite different from DLO's DeDupe. In fact, DLO's DeDupe is different from other traditional methods of DeDupe.

Whitepapers, data sheets would be easily available, but i don't think we share detailed internal workings of a product's functionality with end-users. You could try checking with a Symantec Sales rep and check if a low-level overview of the DeDupe functionality can be obtained or not.