cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the BitLokcer encryption prevent PST files from being backed up?

Saeed27
Level 2

I have some Surface Pro devices with BitLocker encryption enabled have issues backing up pst files, the DLO Agent backup status is "Pending on Local".

based on this article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100010208.html (which belongs to the year 2013), is DLO still doesn't support BitLocker encrypted drives?

and if the answer is yes, what is the best practice to overcome this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

skhokhar
Level 4
Employee

DLO does support Bitlocker, please refer to the DLO 9.3.1 compatibility matrix here:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/DLO_931_Compat_Matrix

If the issue specifically affects PST files and other files are getting backed up, then you may want to check the DLO Profile settings and change the backup method for PSTs to see if this helps. Edit the DLO Profile, and click on the Optoins tab. Under Mail options, you can either choose:

1. "Enable message level incremental backups of Outlook PST files"
2. "Enable VSS backups of Outlook PST files after every..."

The first option uses MAPI to backup PSTs whilst the 2nd option uses VSS. It could be the VSS backup method that may be interferring with Bitlocker. Check the Windows Event logs to see if there are any VSS related errors at the time of the backup.

If there are no errors, and the issue persists with either backup method, I would suggest to open a support case with us.

Kind Regards,
Sakib

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

skhokhar
Level 4
Employee

DLO does support Bitlocker, please refer to the DLO 9.3.1 compatibility matrix here:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/DLO_931_Compat_Matrix

If the issue specifically affects PST files and other files are getting backed up, then you may want to check the DLO Profile settings and change the backup method for PSTs to see if this helps. Edit the DLO Profile, and click on the Optoins tab. Under Mail options, you can either choose:

1. "Enable message level incremental backups of Outlook PST files"
2. "Enable VSS backups of Outlook PST files after every..."

The first option uses MAPI to backup PSTs whilst the 2nd option uses VSS. It could be the VSS backup method that may be interferring with Bitlocker. Check the Windows Event logs to see if there are any VSS related errors at the time of the backup.

If there are no errors, and the issue persists with either backup method, I would suggest to open a support case with us.

Kind Regards,
Sakib

Indeed, It was a VSS error, once I resolve the VSS issue, uninstalled and reinstalled the DLO Agent, everything worked, thank you very much.

sabahsalgado
Level 0
PST files hold all of the data contained inside your Microsoft Outlook folders, including both your incoming and outgoing emails. Encrypting a PST file canprevent unauthorized individuals from accessing the sensitive information that email communications often contain.
Read this I think this is a must to check.