cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include/Exclude confusion

Jake_Lundwall
Level 3

I'm trying to back up our user's Chrome bookmarks but not the thousands of temp files in the profile. So far I've been unable to get it to back up only the bookmarks file though. I looked on the support site to try and find out why my include/excludes weren't working and I found this article. This confused me because when you select Include and exclude only the items listed below the support article says "When this option is selected, a wildcard include is added to back up all files not specifically excluded". A wildcard include would seem to back up a lot more than only what you list in the box. Why is there even the option to include something if everything is already included by default? Am I correct in thinking there is no way to exclude everything from a folder except a few specific files? Finally, if I exclude everything (*.*) for a folder will it still back up the files I "include"?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

DLO processes all Includes first and then all Excludes. For egs, if you add C:\ in the backup selections and then add exclude for C:\Documents and Settings, add include for %CURRENTUSERPROFILE%, then DLO will process the Includes path so C:\ and %CURRENTUSERPROFILE% gets added to the backup set and then Excludes are processed such that C:\Documents and Settings are removed from the backup set.

This is my understanding of the two options under the Include/Exclude tab:

1) Include all file types (except global excludes)

Every type of data is added to the backup set and then files / file types which are specified under Global Excludes are processed and removed from the backup set.

2) Incude and Exclude only the items listed below

The includes and excludes are both picked up from the list below. It can either be a file / folder, or a file type. If no Includes are specifically added to the list, then implicitly a wildcard include is processed to include all files.

On my laptop, this is what I have setup to back up the Chrome Bookmarks file.

1) Added a new backup selection with path: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

2) Unchecked "Include subfolders"

3) Clicked on the Include/Exclude tab

4) Chose "Include and exclude only the items listed below"

5) Clicked on "Add Include"

6) Typed Bookmarks under Filter and chose Apply to File.

7) Clicked on OK

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

DLO processes all Includes first and then all Excludes. For egs, if you add C:\ in the backup selections and then add exclude for C:\Documents and Settings, add include for %CURRENTUSERPROFILE%, then DLO will process the Includes path so C:\ and %CURRENTUSERPROFILE% gets added to the backup set and then Excludes are processed such that C:\Documents and Settings are removed from the backup set.

This is my understanding of the two options under the Include/Exclude tab:

1) Include all file types (except global excludes)

Every type of data is added to the backup set and then files / file types which are specified under Global Excludes are processed and removed from the backup set.

2) Incude and Exclude only the items listed below

The includes and excludes are both picked up from the list below. It can either be a file / folder, or a file type. If no Includes are specifically added to the list, then implicitly a wildcard include is processed to include all files.

On my laptop, this is what I have setup to back up the Chrome Bookmarks file.

1) Added a new backup selection with path: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

2) Unchecked "Include subfolders"

3) Clicked on the Include/Exclude tab

4) Chose "Include and exclude only the items listed below"

5) Clicked on "Add Include"

6) Typed Bookmarks under Filter and chose Apply to File.

7) Clicked on OK

Jake_Lundwall
Level 3

Thank you for clarifying the difference between the two settings. That makes a lot more sense. I had originally set up my Chrome backup exactly like you had outlined but I had entered Bookmarks*.* as the include and it didn't pick it up. I just tried it without the wildcard and it worked. Thanks again for the help!