cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance Servers

smithj
Level 6

Hi

I was hoping someone could help me understand maintenance servers a little better, I've a few questions.

1) During the migration of users, what role does the maintenance server play? We have a maintenance server located at site1 and we are migrating users at site2 from storageA to storageB, also at site2. It seems that the migration takes a considerable amount of time and on further investigation it appears that the data is routing from site2 to site1 and then back to site2 into storageA. Is this normal behaviour?

2) I also know that it is recommended that the maintenance server should be located on the same LAN as the storage. We have some restrictions at the moment and are unable to do this permanently. Would adding a temporary maintenance server to the LAN on site2 cause any problems and is it easy to re-assign maintenance servers to different storage locations? Can this temporary maintenance server be easily removed?

3) Will the migrations route through the temporary maintenance server at site2 once the storage locations at site2 point to this maintenance server? Also, should this speed up the migrations?

Any help in answering these questions is grealy appreciated

Symantec DLO console version 7.5. Most user agents are running DLO version 7.0

Thanks

Jimmy

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Am checking internally as to what role does the maintenance server play in the migration process and will keep you posted.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

Jimmy

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware,

One additional query. I have a migration currently running, which has been running for two days now. I want to cancel it. I have clicked cancel 3 hours ago and nothing has happened. If I force close DLO, will this cause any issues with the original data? Can it be re-migrated?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Just received a reply from the Engg folks:-

"In user migration, maintenance server doesn’t play any role. Hence temporary maintenance server will not help to reduce migration time. User migrations takes time mainly due to  factors like large size of backed up data, high dedupe ratio and network speed.

Your observation on data transfer between site 1 and site 2 is highly related with data grooming.  Maintenance server is used for grooming purpose in case of delta revisions to maintain the set limit of revisions in storage."

And in response to your 2nd query, force closing DLO should not cause any problem. If i recall, if its cancelled in the midst of an user's migration, the old storage will continue to store the user's data.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks for the feedback VJware

I'm struggling to understand this. We have the Admin and Maintenance servers located at site1. Is the grooming carried out all the time? Outside of migrations? When I started the migrations it caused a large amount of strafic between site1 and site2

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Grooming is pretty much done all the time (in fact this is the one of the reasons for recommending the maintenance server to be at the same site as that of the DLO server and storage). If you see an unusual amount of traffic again during the migration, would recommend to log a support case.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks again VJware

I'm still a bit confused why the migration would take so long and have to go out to the Admin server, shouldn't it just transfer between the two storage locations?

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

The actual data will be transferred between the two storage locations only. The Admin server (and its DB) can be involved in updating the information (but this will not equate to the size of the actual data itself), however the maintenance server itself should not play any role.

autolux001
Not applicable

3 hours is very much! Something is not good

VJware
Level 6

Approx, how much time does it take if you manually copy the data from Storage 1 to Storage 2 directly ?

And approx, how may users are being migrated ?