cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating DLO server from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008

topuz
Level 4

Hi,

I must migrate our DLO servers 6.1 (windows 2003+SQL 2005) to a new platform that will be Windows 2008 R2 with SQL 2008R2 and DLO 7.0.

We have near 1000 users on one DLO server, and 500 users on the second server.

Is where a best practice for this operation ?

My idea was to install two new 2008 servers with SQL 2008 R2 first.

Update the old DLO 6.1 servers  to 7.0 in order to have the same version.

Import the database of the old servers with:

> DLODBUtils -backup

Remove the old server, insert the new server in AD, change the servername (in order two have the same name as before).

use >DLODBUtils -restore, in order to restore all the configuration of DLO in the new server.

Please give me your point of view about this process.

Thanks.

Ismail. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eavinash
Level 4
Employee

To migrate the database and the admin server, follow the below steps:

·         Disable all agents from console

·         Perform default (standalone) installation of DLO on a new machine

·         Copy and replace DB files (.mdf & .ldf) from previous machine to new machine

·         Run the following commands from the install path on the previous machine, i.e. the existing DLO server

DLOCommandu.exe ChangeServer –M <newserver name> -U * {this command migrates the admin server. The * stands for all users}

DLOCommandu.exe -ChangeDB -DBserver <newserver name> -DBInstance <instance name> -DBName <DB name> 

·         Enable all agents from console

The storage location will remain the same. Backups are intact. Fresh backups and restore run as expected.

Note that the versions of DLO should be the same on both the old setup and the new setup. So, you could first upgrade the DLO to 7.0 and then perform the below steps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

eavinash
Level 4
Employee

You could either upgrade to 7.0 first and then migrate the components to a new server or you could migrate all the existing components to the new server and then upgrade the components to 7.0.

Both these methods work fine. You could migrate the components from one machine to another using the -changeserver command in the command line utility. Please let me know if you require staps detailing the migration process, I can share it with you.

Deka
Level 3

Hello All,

I am interested in the detailed steps of the migration process, as I have a similar requirement as the OP.

My current setup is single server running NBU 7, NBU DLO 6.1, and SQL 2005. Storage Locations are on another file share servers.

I am thinking to migrate the NBU DLO to SDLO 7 on a new server hardware with different hostname. The OS would be Win 2008 R2

As for SQL I want to use an existing SQL server which is being used for other applications such as Sharepoint. If this is too risky I wouldn't mind to setup SQL on the same new DLO server too.

I also would like to know if there will be any impact to the end users such as the DLO agent initiating a full backup to the new server instead of delta transfer resulting in huge network traffic.

Thank you.

topuz
Level 4

Hi Eavinash,

Thank you for you reply, could you please go in details and decribe the different step please.

BR

Ismail.

eavinash
Level 4
Employee

To migrate the database and the admin server, follow the below steps:

·         Disable all agents from console

·         Perform default (standalone) installation of DLO on a new machine

·         Copy and replace DB files (.mdf & .ldf) from previous machine to new machine

·         Run the following commands from the install path on the previous machine, i.e. the existing DLO server

DLOCommandu.exe ChangeServer –M <newserver name> -U * {this command migrates the admin server. The * stands for all users}

DLOCommandu.exe -ChangeDB -DBserver <newserver name> -DBInstance <instance name> -DBName <DB name> 

·         Enable all agents from console

The storage location will remain the same. Backups are intact. Fresh backups and restore run as expected.

Note that the versions of DLO should be the same on both the old setup and the new setup. So, you could first upgrade the DLO to 7.0 and then perform the below steps.

Deka
Level 3

Hi eavinash,

In my situation, can NBU DLO 6.1 be upgraded to SDLO 7.0 on the same machine? Will it have any impact on the Netbackup 7?

eavinash
Level 4
Employee

There will not be any problem. The upgrade scenario is supported.

Deka
Level 3

Thanks!

topuz
Level 4

Hi Eavinash,

Coming with a later question: will it work it we use onthe old DLO server SQL 2005 and on the new server SQL 2008R2

Old server: DLO 7.0, Windows 2003R2, SQL 2005

New server: DLO 7.0 Windows 2008R2, SQL 2008R2

Will the "Copy and replace DB files (.mdf & .ldf) from previous machine to new machine" work ?

BR

Ismail.

eavinash
Level 4
Employee

Copying the database files to the new machine will work just fine.

But, you will have to run a few scripts before the new databse kicks in inplace of the old one.

Firstly, disable all agent from the admin console. Then

1. Detach the DLO database using the following command:
Osql -E – S SERVERHOSTNAME\INSTANCENAME -Q "sp_detach_db DLO"
SERVERHOSTNAME: Machine where SQL is installed
INSTANCENAME: Instance name to which DLO database is attached
2. Restart the SQL services.
3. Now move the DLO.mdf files to one drive (Example: C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO\Data), and move the DLO_log.ldf files to new location. (Example: C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO\Data)
4. Now attach the DLO database to the same instance by running the following command:
Osql -E -S SERVERHOSTNAME\INSTANCENAME -Q "sp_attach_db 'DLO', 'C: \Program Files\Symantec\DLO\Data\DLO.mdf','C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO\Data\DLO_log.ldf'"
SERVERHOSTNAME: Machine where SQL is installed
INSTANCENAME: Instance name to which DLO database should be attached
5. Restart the SQL services.
6. DLOCommandu.exe -ChangeDB -DBserver <newserver name> -DBInstance <instance name> -DBName <DB name>
7. Enable all DLO agents

Note: In DLO 7.0, the changeDB command also changes the media server to the new machine. To circumvent this, the registry values for 'Mediaserver' on all the client machines need to be changed to the correct server. This can be done using policy settings from the domain controller.