Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move DLO storage to new location on VM's

Redwolf
Level 3

Hi.

First post, so please be gentle ;)

Current configuration.

We have a Windows 2008 server running DLO7.5 with about 900 users (lets call it SRV-A), this server does NOT hold the user backup data. All data is backed up via a share to another server, lets call the other server SRV-B)

Both SRV-A and SRV-B are VM's running on the same ESX

We want to get rid of SRV-B as it happens to be running Windows 2003, so need to get rid of it. As there is quite a bit of storage datasets involved we wanted to avoid trying to copy the data. The user storage is held on a number of datastores\drive letters\shares on SRV-B we want to move one by one, just in case it goes horribly wrong.

Our approach was to disconnect the storage datastores from SRV-B and attach to SRV-A, then just go on the DLO console and change the location to point to the new local storage which has the data already there. Simple we thought. We set up a small piece of test storage, added a user, performed so backups then moved the storage. Storage came across OK and permissions were not as they were but we can amend. Went onto the DLO server create the new storage location, that worked OK.

We then tried to use DLO console to move the user (we did think a simple change in "automated user assignments" would help but it didn't.) we got a message that this wasn't possible "Authentication failed for source storage, Error. The Device is not connected" Obviously as we have moved the source!! But there is an option to reassign if the server will be permanently unavailable, which it wont be as we have moved the storage so we click yes. Failed again as the data was already there. "Destination network user data folder already exists"!!

Help:

Hopefully the above explains what we are trying to do, I have seen others on the forum with similar requests but not seen any answer. I am hoping there is a simple way to do this and maybe we have missed a step, copy the data with DLO is not a good option as we would temporarily need twice the storage and there is a lot of it 5TB+.

Cheers.

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look @ these sections from the Admin Guide :-

1) Moving Desktop Agent Users to a New Network User Data Folder

2) -MigrateUserSL command

Redwolf
Level 3
Hi Having looked at these they both look to move the actual data using DLO. I asked if it was possible to move the storage In its totality from one VM server to another (detach from one vm and assign to another) and then point the users to this new location. We know we can move the storage as we have tested this, we just can't seem to be able to configure user to point to it. If it is not possible then fine, we are just trying to avoid shipping 5TB over the network!

VJware
Level 6

Theoretically, this may be possible but i haven't tested this yet. Secondly, this method will most likely require lots of manual edits.

However, when you created a new storage, which option did you choose from the DLO console to move (or rather point) the users to the new location ?

VJware
Level 6

Theoretically, this may be possible but i haven't tested this yet. Secondly, this method will most likely require lots of manual edits.

However, when you created a new storage, which option did you choose from the DLO console to move (or rather point) the users to the new location ?

Also, are you using DeDupe ?

Redwolf
Level 3

I tried to point the users at the new location

We shut the servers down, moved the storage from SRV-B to SRV-A and then brought back up, set the drive letter and checked the data was in tact and as expected for the test user including permissions.

We then logged onto the DLO server and created a new storage location for SRV-A and selected the local storage we had just attached. At this point all seemed OK.

We are not using DeDupe.

When I went to the client it was still trying to backup to the old server (SRV-B) and the storage that no longer existed.

I then tried to move the user, but got an error ".....the device is not connected..... if the server is permantly unavailable, you can reasign the user to a new location...."

So select yes as the storage will never be back on the old server, hoping this would move the user to where his storage now is. Select yes to migrate then got the error "Destination network user data folder already exists"

So the storage is moved, I just cant "point" the user to it..

Thanks for your help

VJware
Level 6

EDITED

What I meant to ask is -

Did you right-click the user and choose Move network user data folder ?

This option will work only if the existing storage location is still available.

Try using the command line instead and specifically this command -

-AssignSL command

The –AssignSL command is used to assign a new DLO Storage Location to existing users when the existing DLO Storage Location is no longer available. The new DLO Storage Location must be managed by the same DLO Administration Server.

Redwolf
Level 3
Yes that is how I tried to do it "Right-click the user and choose Move network user data folder" and fails because storage location has already moved. Is the -AssignSL command simple to use? I will take a look at the admin guide I only want to try this against my test user before using it in anger. The new storage location and DLO are on the same server

VJware
Level 6

Yes, the command is pretty simple to use and it can be run against one user as well.

Redwolf
Level 3
Thanks the testing looks very positive. -AssignSL seems to do what I want. Thanks for your help

Redwolf
Level 3

After the single user test I want to now move blocks of users. There are 8 storage locations on SRV-A which will move to SRV-B.

After physically moving the storage and configuring, and running a report I can see that I have a SLID of 340 on SRV-A and 500 on SRV-B. Am I correct I can migrate the users at storage location level using the command

DLOCommandu -AssignSL -NI 500 –SI 340

Where -NI is the new storage location (target) on SRV-A and -SI 340 is the source storage location on SRV-B

This seems to make sense, can you please confirm before I proceed ?

VJware
Level 6

yes, this should work.