cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving NUDF storage location

smithj
Level 6

Hi

I need to move 683 users to a new NUDF storage location with a different name.

This will mean that users will need to have this location updated on their client agent.

What are the recommended steps in doing this to minimize any impact to end users?

(Users are currently using DLO agent version 7.0 and console is on DLO 7.5. We have

tried to upgrade users to DLO 7.5, but there was a high amount of IOps on our NetApp filer

due to Dedupe operations. Upgrading is not an option at the moment. Also, the NUDF is

a NetApp filer)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jimmy

22 REPLIES 22

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23644

Another option is via the cmd, specifically the -MigrateUserSL command. The Admin Guide contains detailed information on using this command.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

I'll start testing these suggestions

Jimmy

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

One more question if you don't mind. Our NUDF is on a NetApp filer and the guys who look after this say they can migrate all the data on the backend. Is there a way to change the nudf on the clients to point to the new location without having to migrate on the DLO console? Can you see any issues with this approach?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

One could try editing the registry on the clients so that it would point to the new NUDF. However, the cons of this approach is trying to update the registry manually on each and every client and possible out of sync DLO console (as the change is being done on the client and not at the server end)

smithj
Level 6

So the recommendation, to avoid issues, is to carry out the migration from the DLO console or via cmd for multiple users? Is there no way to change the NUDF of the user from the Console without migrating?

VJware
Level 6

There isn't any other recommended way. There are 3 methods in all for moving over to a new NUDF.

1) Using the -AssignSL command (Used when the original NUDF is no longer present)

2) Using the UI or the -MigrateSL command (Used when the original NUDF still exists)

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

Jimmy

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

When you have migrated a users NUDF to another location, is there a way to revert it back to the old NUDF location? I tested this out and got the message "Failed to move user domain\user. Move returned: Migration Failed, Error: Destination network user data folder already exists"

Do I need to completely remove the old NUDF for this to work?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Were the NUDF contents from the old storage copied over to the new storage prior to the NUDF migration ? if yes, then this could be the cause of the migration failure. And did you choose the option to move to an existing location or an alternate location ?

And when the NUDF migration fails, it usually does not involve any data loss. The old location will still contain all files and the new location may/may not contain files. Subsequent backups will still store at the old location.

No need to remove the old NUDF for the migration.

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJWare

At the moment I'm just testing the migration and want to point the user back to the old location? Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

If the migration has failed, ideally the user should still point to the old NUDF. Test a backup and observe if the new backup file for this user is being stored on the old or the new NUDF.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

Jimmy

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

When migrating a user to the new NUDF, what is the typical process for the end user agent. Should it restart automatically in the background or shutdown completely, then restart on next logon? I've had some users where the DLO completely shuts down after migration and others where it restarts.

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

The DLO agent will shutdown and then automatic restart (within 30 mins) once the migration completes.

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

I just tested this out and it failed to restart the agent after 30minutes after the migration completed. It just closed the DLO agent.

Any ideas why this may happen?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Did the agent start automatically if the system was rebooted or if the user re-logged in?

And did it fail to restart for multiple agents or have you tested with just one agent as of yet ?

Usually this may happen if the data migration wasn't successful or if the agent isn't able to communicate with the DLO server or the storage. Debug logs should help in narrowing it down.

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

This has happened on multiple users. I manually started the agent just now and am carrying out another migration with verbose logging enabled.

The migrations were sucessful on all users and the agent is able to comunnicate with the DLO server and storage.

I haven't looked into whether the agent started automatically after reboot or relogin. Should the migration effect the startup of the DLO agent?

Once this migration completes and if 30minutes pass without the agent restarting, I will send the logs

Thanks

Jimmy

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

I just sent you some logs

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Had a quick look @ the log and it may be due to the Task Scheduler service. Pls ensure the user account has full permissions to the Tasks directory. And is UAC enabled for the system ?

You could probably test it on another machine prior to migrating the NUDF for that user. If UAC is enabled, try disabling it and verify if appropriate permissions are set. Migrate the NUDF and check if the DLO client automatic restarts itself or not.