cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer caught fire...

cgaski3
Level 4

All I have got left is the external drive, (USB, 1000 GB), containing the backups.

I wasn't unduly worried – after all this is why you have backups isn't it? 

The computer was fairly old and had two IDE drives with Windows 7 and a matching motherboard with an older type of RAM. I'm not sure whether the backup software was Norton or Symantec 15. I bought the software via download so I am not hundred percent certain of the version

I bought a new computer with two SATA drives. Apparently IDE drives and matching motherboards boards are no longer made. I booted from the SRD but the machine couldn't see the USB drive. I installed Windows 7 and then it could see the USB drive when I booted from the SRD. I told to restore the C drive after which it wouldn't boot from the drive.

From reading this and other forums it appears that what I'm trying to do is impossible. It is apparently only possible to restore a computer to substantially similar hardware which course, in my case, is not available. I am hoping somebody will tell me that I am wrong and will explain to me in simple terms how to do the restore to the new machine.

If indeed my interpretation is correct and it is not possible to do a restore to new hardware the Ghost/Symantec product I bought is not of much value…

David

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It depends which backup software was used to make the backup since you would be able to restore only using that software. What is the format of the files in the external drive ?

Newer versions of Backup Exec can restore to dissimilar hardware and so can System Recovery.

cgaski3
Level 4

Since writing the above I have got a bit more information.

1. From searching on other machines it would appear that the backup was made with Ghost/Symantec 12 not 15.

2. After an extended chat with support I was told that if I installed the appropriate Ghost application on the new machine it would be possible to restore from my USB drive. The agent insisted that in the whole of Symantec there wasn't a single remaining copy of any version of Ghost....

I managed to find a "Try and buy" copy of Ghost 15. Will this work? If not what can I do?

The chatline agent did not know the answer to these questions and referred me to this forum.

David

cgaski3
Level 4

Sorry, I forgot to say. The external hard drive is FAT.

VJware
Level 6

In that case, pls repost your query here @ the Ghost forum - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/endpoint-management/forums/ghost-solution-suite

cgaski3
Level 4

Apologies, I may have misunderstood your question.

These are the names of some of the files on the external hard drive:

DAVID2-PC.sv2i
David2-PC_C_Drive041_i001.iv2i
David2-PC_C_Drive041_s01.v2i

David

VJware
Level 6

.sv2i, .iv2i files are created by Symantec System Recovery which has always supported dissimilar hardware restore. Pls repost here then - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/symantec-system-recovery-formerly-backup-exec-system-recovery

P.S. - Every software has its own sub-forum. Currently, you have posted on a software named DLO and hence, suggesting you to repost on the appropriate sub-forum.

cgaski3
Level 4

OK, I've done that.

Thanks for your help – I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

David

cgaski3
Level 4

I have done that.

Thanks again for your help,

David

cgaski3
Level 4

In an earlier post I said:

"I subsequently chatted with Symantec support who told me that if I installed the appropriate Ghost application on the new machine it would be possible to restore from my USB drive."

On reflection I don't understand this.

If I restore the C drive from backup I shall have to boot with a recovery disc in which case the C drive never gets read at all so what is on it is of no consequence…

I am presumably misunderstanding something that I would be very grateful for your explanation.

David