Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDLO users doesn't connect to Dedupe storage

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Good day all,

After i've configure my dedupe storage, i found out that the users are still backing up to NUDF storage. i tried editing the the automated user assignment but still getting the same result.

i will appreciate if the group can provide me with a solution.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is by design. The NUDF will still contain backup files when DeDupe is enabled. Have a look @ this post for more information about the DeDupe process :-

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/deduplication-process-sdlo

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Have checked on the link but it's not detail.

I'd configured the dedupe before now and it work very well. i was able to backup to NUDF and also have a copy of the backup at the dedupe storage end which the size of all the backup files are in kilobytes.

i.e.. A backup is written to NUDF and duplicated to the dedupe storage in kilobytes.

But i found out that after reinstallation of the application, i could not achieve that any longer. And i also have my netbackup admin console on the same server, hope that will not bring about confliction and also hindered me from achieving my goal.

I will appreciate a quick response

VJware
Level 6

A backup is written to NUDF and duplicated to the dedupe storage in kilobytes

Well, the backup is not actually duplicated to the DeDupe storage from the NUDF.

When a new file is backed up the first time, it's broken into chunks and are stored into the DeDupe storage location. Then the reference pointers are stored in the NUDF.

During the next backup, when the file undergoes changes, the "delta" portion of the file are stored in the NUDF and the reference pointers are updated.

Typically, the DeDupe storage does not contain data in kilobytes but much larger as this is the actual storage location which contains the backed up data.

Secondly, when you reinstalled the SDLO application, did you reinstall the SDLO agents as well ? Lastly, NBU admin console should not cause any conflict with the SDLO's DeDupe process.

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you VJware, please i want you to be explicit in your explanation.

Now, if i enable dedupe on the profile and create a dedupe storage but i didn't change the directory of the users from NUDF to the dedupe storage.My question, will my backup go to NUDF or Dedupe storage? if the backup goes to NUDF, how can i make the users to write their backup on the dedupe storage?

VJware
Level 6

The storage location assigned to the users would always be the NUDF even when you enable "DeDupe" in the profile. There is no need to change the storage location from NUDF to the DeDupe storage.

The backup will go to both NUDF and the DeDupe Storage. Depending upon the backed up data (if it unique or not), most of the data will be written to the DeDupe storage and the reference pointers of this data will be written to the NUDF.

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Okay, thank you so much for the clarity.

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

My question is, what do you mean by a reference pointers of the data written to NUDF because what i noted from what i have is that the backup data were written to NUDF and nothing to the Dedupe storage.i can't even find the user at the DeDupe storage.

i will really appreciate if you guys can help me on this because i need to implement this on a client site this week.

Thanks

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Anyone in the house to answer my question?

Am having some challenge with the deployment of symantec DLO, please i need assistant.

VJware
Level 6

Hiya Ola,

I would recommend you to contact Support formally if you require any urgent assistance. Being an user forum, replies may not be timely.

And you will not be able to locate an user's directory on the DeDupe. A DeDupe Storage does not store files like the NUDF.

And by reference pointers, I mean metadata.