cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up separate test DLO server

smithj
Level 6

Hi

I want to upgrade our current DLO console and agents to version 7.6. Before I do this, I would like to set up a test server (TestDLO) that would replicate our current server (LiveDLO) and carry out an upgrade on this server (TestDLO) with about 30 users as a test.

I have created a clone of LiveDLO, which has a different server name (TestDLO), but everything else is the same as LiveDLO. That is, all DB and pointers point to LiveDLO. Is there a way of changing the pointers on TestDLO so that it does not impact the LiveDLO DB? At the moment any changes I make on TestDLO get replicated on LiveDLO

Thanks

Jimmy

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess, the only way to ensure the live server doesn't get impacted by the test one is to keep the test one in a sandbox environment, i.e. off the live network.

Secondly, how exactly did you clone the test server ? Maybe there is a setting which is replicating to the live one ? Just a thought.

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

Thanks for the reply.

I need to have the test server on the live network because I want to monitor the traffic between the DLO Admin server and the NUDF to make sure it's not going to overload the NUDF.

I don't look after the cloning, but I believe that the clone is just the exact same server with a different server name. I'm not sure any server cloning solution will change the settings of DLO to correspond to the new server name?

Will there be any issues if I upgrade the DLO console from 7.5 to 7.6 with users staying on DLO agent versions 6.1 and 7.0?

Also, if I created a snapshot (say today) of the DLO server and then upgraded it, if i came across a problem with the upgrade some time later (say next week) and reverted the server back to today, would this cause a problem with the DLO DB or anything else on the DLO server?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Typically, the DLO server supports agents which are one version behind. So, yes, there could be issues if the agents are on 6.1 and 7.0. Afaik, there wouldn't be any issues with the communication itself, but issues could arise during backups.

I haven't specifically tested this scenario but upon checking with my colleagues, the "point in time" restore can cause problems which could lead to a reinstall of DLO and then restoring the DLO DB.

smithj
Level 6

Thanks VJware

I suppose the best thing to do would be to set up a completely new test installation of the DLO Admin server and test the upgrade this way? Would you agree?

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Absolutely.

And if possible, you may want to consider delaying the upgrade since SDLO 8.0 is already in beta - https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=AC16200EAE1E42B98F0C1BC30EE051C0

smithj
Level 6

Hi VJware

I'm in the process of setting up a separate DLO Test server and I was wondering, could I use the current maintenance server for this test server or would this cause problems with the production DLO? Do I need to set up a another separate maintenance server for the DLO test server?

Thanks

Jimmy

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend to use a separate maintenance server. You could install the Maintenance Service along with the DLO test server itself.