cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install 5 user Desktop and Laptop option

WimN
Level 3

Hello,

We run Backup Exec 2010R3 on a Windows Server 2008R2 system and use a LTO4 tape drive for backup.

We have installed the Windows agent on a XP system and can use that to make backups without problems. When we install the agent on a W7/64 system it does the backup scan but then it reports that a license is needed for 'protecting remote servers...', it is no server but a W7/64 system. When we try to install the included 'Desktop and laptop option' it does not want to do that because the server is not part of a domain.

Is there another way to install the 5 user license for the 'Desktop and laptop' option (offline function is not needed). Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

One of the requirements for DLO is a Domain as the security control over what is backed up per user is linked to a domain. The client machine can be in a workgroup as long as the end user of that client has a domain login to enter into the DLO client and as long as the DLO server is in a domain.

For information DLO has it's own agent software that is linked to the logged in user. The Remote Agnet that you installed on XP is the standard Backup Exec Remote Agent that runs as a service and is not linked to the logged in user on the remote system. What this means is that the machine can be backed up without a logged in user. Where DLO needs a logged in user (or possibly a very recently logged out one with cached files waiting to backup)

Unfortunately the versions of Windows workstation that followed XP are harder to separate from the parallel server operating systems and as such we had to change the licensing requirement so that you do need a remote agent license on the media server to back them up. if you do not have such a license you will get the message that you quoted.

WimN
Level 3

Ok, thanks for your reply. So it is impossible to use the option for 5 user that is included in the Backup Exec package that I bought. Don't you have a licence key for the 5 users already included in the Backup Exec package? We also tried to use shares in the W7 but that also gave the same message.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 2010 includes the option to backup 5 workstations using DLO. I think what you are asking for is the license keys for 5 BE remote agents. These are two different things. If you what remote agent license you got to buy them

WimN
Level 3

Sorry, very confusing.... Is there another way to get the '5 DLO' installed from the installation DVD while the server is not in a domain?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. Even if this is possible you would not be able to use DLO without sa domain

WimN
Level 3

If I understand correctly, using the Agent that works with XP it should be possible to back up the W7 workstation (without the server being in a domain). But then I have to buy a licence that costs about half the price of the original licence

No option to get a licence for just 1 workstation?

When I bought this software I was told that it you could backup 5 desktops/laptops, but nobody told me that you need a domain for that. Just in small installations with only a few PC's a domain is not always available, and now you include an option for backing up 5 desktop/laptops for free but then you need a domain.

Sorry, but this is all very confusing and not very customer friendly.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No option to get a licence for just 1 workstation?

You can buy a single remote agent licence.

As advised earlier, DLO is designed with a domain in mind and DLO is not the same as BE which is why it is now a separate product.  BE 2012 does not come with DLO.

DLO does not backup the entire workstation.  It only backs up user files like My Documents, etc. and it has an auto-sync feature.  However, it cannot be used to recover the entire workstation because it does not back up the OS.  BE on the other hand is meant for full recovery of a server.

WimN
Level 3

Ok, what is the price for a single remote agent? If you cannot sell that product, what is the article number of the product I need to make backups from the W7 system on the 2008R2 server that is not in a domain?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For pricing, check with Symantec or your reseller

WimN
Level 3

What is the article number of the product I need to make backups from the W7 system on the 2008R2 server that is not in a domain? Just licence for 1 PC.

Can the 11d Agent be used?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Just tell them you need an Agent for Windows System (AWS) license. You would need to upgrade the 11d license to use it with BE 2010. The upgrade is free if you are on a current maintenance contract. Otherwise the reseller would be able to give you a quote

WimN
Level 3

Is the AWS licence for unlimited number of PC's or is there a licence available for just 1 PC as mentioned before in this conversation?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is one AWS for one remote server/device