cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "start backup jobs over a period of XX minutes" exactly mean?

wangyuze_ian
Level 4

Hi Team,

When I am triying to set a schedule for backup profile of DLO,I found this option below.

"start backup jobs over a period of"

QQ图片20140122135323.jpg

The explain in admin guide is "Staggers start times for backup jobs. Rather than starting all backup jobs at exactly the time indicated, DLO distributes the start times over the specified interval to better distribute the demands on the server and network."

But I can't understand and don't know how it works.

Any body could explain it in detail ? Better with a example,thanks very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if there are 10 clients that need to be backed up starting 12:00AM, then these 10 clients will start over a staggered period of 10 minutes...NOT at the same time. If you changed that setting to 20 minutes, then the start gap between each server would be greater.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

So if you have 10 jobs and you start them at 12:00AM every morning, selecting "Start backup jobs over a period of...10 minutes" means that these jobs will not start at the same time. 

Rather DLO is going to schedule them to start over that 10 minute period, so it would look something like this:

PC1...12:00AM

PC2...12:01AM

PC3...12:02AM...etc. etc. etc.

Probably done to lessen the network load and performance load on the media server.

Thanks!

wangyuze_ian
Level 4

Hello Craig,

Thanks for reply.

Does the "10 jobs" you have mentioned mean 10 files need to be backuped on a same client?

Or means 10 clients using the same profile & schedule?

CraigV

No, this relates directly to the jobs and not the files. It would stagger the jobs. If it started to stagger the files being backed up you'd never finish your backups.

Thanks!

wangyuze_ian
Level 4

According to my understanding, one client can only initialize one a job at same time.

So that start 10 jobs at 12:00AM, in another way to say is there are 10 clients need to be backuped at 12:00AM.

Am I right?

CraigV

...if there are 10 clients that need to be backed up starting 12:00AM, then these 10 clients will start over a staggered period of 10 minutes...NOT at the same time. If you changed that setting to 20 minutes, then the start gap between each server would be greater.

Thanks!

wangyuze_ian
Level 4

Thanks for explaining, now I'm quite clear what it means.

Thank you very much!

CraigV

Glad to have helped!