cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dlo 7.5.1 pst backup and restore - attachments unable to open

s_support
Level 4

hi

i have logged a job with symantec (case # 07344592), but it seems impossible to get the technician to understand what is happening in my environment, so i thought i'd try on this forum to see if someone understands better.

i have a profile to backup pst files, in the mail options, i only have "enable message level incremental backups of outlook pst files" ticked.  this has always been the case since DLO7.0, and pst's having been backing up and restoring without problems.

we also have dedupe enabled, which is the new feature in 7.5.1.

scenario is, a computer has a pst file, 5gb.  this file is not mapped in outlook, and gets backed up without problems.  when looking at the restore tab on the dlo server, the pst file "size on disk" is 477mb, and the "size" is 5.1gb.  which sounds normal to me because of the deduping.  the filename of the pst also starts with "[00gj7fRCBlAcZM0056peg0]-filename".

now when the user maps in outlook, dlo then proceeds to do what seems is another full backup.  when looking at the restore tab on the dlo server, the pst file "size on disk" is 945mb, and the "size" is 945mb.  which does not sound right, because the file should be 5gb. the filename of the pst starts with "[0000000000000000000000]-filename".

what i have observed is that, within a few days or so, the filename starting with [00gj7fRCBlAcZM0056peg0] eventually disappears out of the dlo system, which leaves only the one file which is mapped in outlook, which i believe is normal according to the way dlo7.0 used to work.

now when restoring the [0000000000000000000000] file, it restores sucessfully, all emails appear to be there, however the size's of the attachments seem to be only a very small percentage of what they should be, hence the reason they cannot be opened from the restored pst.

i think thats most of the information i can provide at this stage, so hopefully someone has had this issue, and can help, because support seems like they have no idea.

thanks, Phil.

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This issue has been resolved in the newest release i.e. SDLO 7.6

If the upgrade isn't an option do let me know & I'll review your case.

s_support
Level 4

hi VJware,

sorry for the delay reply.  i am on the phone with support again, and they still seem to have no idea what is going on, nor what i am talking about.

upgrading isn't an option, as we only just upgraded to 7.5.1.

can you please advise if there is another solution you can provide and assist with.

would be much appreciated.

Phil.

edit:  just got off the phone with support and they still have no idea what the problem is, i had to advise them this link to this forum saying it was resolved in 7.6, however we cannot upgrade.

they will give me a call back in the morning after they speak with engineering.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have contacted the engineer who's assigned on this case and you should be expecting a c/b asap.

s_support
Level 4

thanks VJware,

i just got a call and started a webex for them to gather the logs.  i believe its currently getting uploaded to symantec.

he said he will again give me another call back in 15minutes.

will keep you posted.

Phil

s_support
Level 4

so i got the call back saying that he will transfer me to the next level engineer, which did not happen, i got bounced all over the place until i got fed up and hung up.

then i asked him via webex to call me back and transfer me again, then he disconnected the webex session.

now i'm unsure what i'm suppose to do.

Phil.