cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dlo 7.6 redirect restore of pst file error

s_support
Level 4

hi, currently running dlo 7.6, and trying to restore a pst file from client1 backups, onto a location on client2.

after running the restore, i get an message "either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the meessaging request.  Please rn microsoft outlook and set it as the default mail client".  outlook is installed and configured on the dlo console server, so i dont understand the reason for this message.

after i click ok on that pop up, the restored file on client2 disappears, and i get this error when viewing the restore log "*.pst failed to restore.  error reading source file.  restore failed due to outlook not installed on this machine.  mapi initialize failed"

it then points me to this link:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&question_box=V-138-52224-201...

i tried going through this tech article:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216331&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

i dont have a fatal exit key in the registry location that it specifies, and i don't know what the key is or what it should be or if it even matters.

please help if possible.

Phil.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

On the server, install the 64-bit verison of Outlook and then retry the .pst restore.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6

outlook is installed and configured on the dlo console server

Is Outlook installed on Client 2 ? If yes, is it set as the default mail client ?

s_support
Level 4

hi VJware, yes, outlook is installed and default, i'm trying to restore to my own laptop.  i've also tried restoring to a location on the dlo console server, but that does not work either.

Phil

VJware
Level 6

Were these MAPI based or VSS based backups of .pst files ?

Can you enable verbose logging on both server and client machine for the .pst restore and post/pm the logs.

s_support
Level 4

we only do mapi based pst backups

sorry, where are the log files that you require on the server and client, which files?

i've enabled logging, run the restore, and now disabled logging again.  just need to know which log files you require vjware.

Phil

VJware
Level 6

We recommend VSS based backups of .pst files than MAPI based. From the client machine, the DLOClient.log and DLOconsoleu.log, DLOadminsvcu.log should help. Additionally, would recommend to switch over to VSS based backups and then reattempt the restore of the .pst files.

s_support
Level 4

hey vjware, i've attached the 2 log files zipped up.

i just did another restore, however it was through a client pc, and it worked without issues.  so it seems a redirect pst restore from the dlo admin server is the issue.

also, i am not sure which settings in the profile are correct for "VSS" backups of pst files.  i have attached a screenshot of my current settings for pst backup.  this setting allows me to do incremental backups of individual emails, which is a something we must keep.

Phil

VJware
Level 6

For VSS backups, the message level incremental is to be disabled. When VSS method is enabled, the first backup of the .pst file is a full backup, though the subsequent backups are incrementals as they transfer only the changed data of the .pst file

Few reasons as to why VSS is preferred - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH202413

VJware
Level 6

Had a quick look at the logs. Would you confirm the bit of the OS and of the installed Outlook on both server and redirected client machine ? This error usually happens if they are different. For egs, OS is 64-bit, whereas Outlook is running 32-bit.

s_support
Level 4

the server is 64bit 2008, and i believe i only installed the 32bit office.  the client is also 32bit with 32bit office.

VJware
Level 6

On the server, install the 64-bit verison of Outlook and then retry the .pst restore.

s_support
Level 4

hi vjware, this has worked.  thank you for your assistance.

i'm still testing the vss option, but it seems that it does a full backup nearly every time it tries to do a backup of the pst, not an incremental.  i see a lot of data getting transfered onto the nudf folder, not just the email changes in the pst.

Phil