cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create storage on another machine

rashi_jain
Level 5

Hello All,

I am trying to create a storage on another machine but i am failed to make it . I am making filesystem on seconadary storage which I want to use as storage location.

ERROR : Computer name is invalid or you dont have a permission to browse a computer.Please enter a name.

Regards

Rashi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this a newly created user ? If yes, first run backups of this new user to the existing storage location. Then move the data to the new storage.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6

Is there a firewall in place ? If yes, ensure ports and services are open per this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH181115

The storage which you creating must be formatted with NTFS and have a drive letter assigned to it.

Following share & security permissions must be assigned to the new storage as well:-

Share Permissions on the root NTFS folder defined as the NUDF
Administrators (group) Full Control
Everyone:                      Full Control
DLO Service account:  Full Control

Security Permissions on the root NTFS folder defined as the NUDF
Administrators (group) Full Control
Everyone:                      Read and Execute
SYSTEM:                       Full Control
DLO Service account:  Full Control

Also, ensure that you can access the admin share of the new storage volume. For egs, if you are creating a new storage on S:\, then you should be able to access \\servername\S$
Lastly, the service account used by the DLO, SQL services must be an administrator on the other machine as well.

rashi_jain
Level 5

Hello VJware,

Can you please share the  process to formatted storage with NTFS and have a drive letter assigned to it ?

VJware
Level 6

Hiya Rashi,

This is more of a Windows query than a DLO one. Nevertheless, if the new storage is on another Windows machine, you can use Disk Management to format with NTFS and assign a drive letter as well. If the new storage is a NAS device, best to contact the NAS vendor for instructions.

rashi_jain
Level 5

Hello VJware,

I am able to attched the filesystem on drive  pls check the attachment.

Now I am trying to give the permission as you mentioned above but getting error.

NOTE :  liscence provided by SYMANTEC is older so we backdated all the machines may be due to which i am not able to add the permissions.

VJware
Level 6

Do not use mapped drives. Use the browse option and browse to the actual system where the storage is created.

rashi_jain
Level 5

Hello VJware,

our storage unit is secondary storage which is on network , we create a filesystem on secondary storage of CIFS type . This file system does not have any drive letter .

when i am trying to browse it using netwok storage it is not able to find out any filesystem on DLO . but I can access the file system "\\192.168.125.27\fs1" on windows where DLO is installed

can you please provide any document  where all the process is mentioned step by step

VJware
Level 6

The Admin Guide contains info as to what type of storage is compatible and how to configure it as well.

By design, DLO NUDF Storage Location cannot be created on a NAS Box which doesn't have a drive letter.  This configuration has also not been tested and is not currently supported by Symantec. There is a workaround though as per this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57826

Additionally, have a look at this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23680

rashi_jain
Level 5

Hello VJware ,

I am getting error during the movement on NUDF  Pls check the attached snippet.

VJware
Level 6

Are you getting this error only for one user or multiple users ?

Is the account which you are currently using for DLO, does it have access to the SQL DB ? Does it also have appropriate permissions to the SQL DB ?

For access, named pipes must be enabled. And give sa rights to the DLO admin account in SQL.

rashi_jain
Level 5

Hello VJware,

I was created onlu one use and this issue faced on that.

yse this is account is used for DLO .

Can you please tell me how to check the SQL DB and other things ?

VJware
Level 6

Is this a newly created user ? If yes, first run backups of this new user to the existing storage location. Then move the data to the new storage.