cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerator install requires UAC to be turned off

BigAnvil
Level 5

I'm struggling to understand why the Discovery Accelerator 10.0.3 Client requires UAC to be turned off in order to be installed.

The DA & CA client install doesn't offer a "Run as administrator" option.  The user account that is logged in on this Windows 7 computer during the install is in the local administrator group.  When I run the setup with UAC at the default setting, the following error appears:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Data\regid.1992-12.com.symantec\regid.1992-12.com.symantec_Enterprise_Vault.swidtag."

Why, oh why, does the installer not have permissions to modify a file IT is installing?  Furthermore, why in the name of every system administrator does an install, while logged in as a local administrator, require UAC to be disabled?  Rather than work with the heightened security that Windows 7 offers as a means of protecting systems from viruses and malware, why must we do the very thing we shouldn't have to do just to install a product - as an administrator?!

I verified this by disabling UAC, restarting the computer and trying the DA client installation again - with success.  Removing DA, putting UAC back to the default setting, restarting the computer and trying to install the DA client again results in the above error.

Seriously, Symantec.  Where is the "Run as administrator" option so we don't have to go through this just to install your product?  Now we have to make sure the user is an administrator, disable UAC, restart, install DA, reset UAC to default, and restart again just to install a product once...  and repeat the process when the next verison of CA or DA comes out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It would look like this:

msiexec /I "D:\Symantec Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator Client.msi" TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)" ALLUSERS=1

Caution:

If User Account Control (UAC) is enabled on your computer, you must open the Command Prompt window with administrator privileges.

As documented here:

Using the MSI installer package to install the Discovery Accelerator client

Article:HOWTO58746  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58746

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

for what it's worth, you are talking about an MSI file. the fact that there's no 'run as administrator' on an MSI file in Windows 7 is the same for every MSI file that's out there. what you can try instead of run a command prompt as administrator then change to the directory where your Symantec Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator Client.msi is located and run it like that.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It would look like this:

msiexec /I "D:\Symantec Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator Client.msi" TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)" ALLUSERS=1

Caution:

If User Account Control (UAC) is enabled on your computer, you must open the Command Prompt window with administrator privileges.

As documented here:

Using the MSI installer package to install the Discovery Accelerator client

Article:HOWTO58746  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58746

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

As per mentioned by Tony it's good to run the DA client installation using command prompt. The TechNote is very good which provide information about How to run.