cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analytics - Performance Concerns

tmurray1
Level 5

Hello,

I am running EV8 SP4 and DA8 SP4.  The customer is interested in using Analytics.  It looks like the pre 9 code might not be optimal (ref Symantec TECH125830 - Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator exhibits slow performance during Analytics Data Collection).  In addition to the code issue I am trying to understand where the performance hits are (e.g. SQL, EV servers, DA server, Centera, EV server to SQL server, DA Server to SQL server, etc.).  Can someone shed some light on this?  Anyone know of a white paper...I could not find one that has been published to the public.

Thank you.

Note:  Just found the hotfix for:

Source ETrack
Value 1950825
Description

Extremely slow Data Collection during Analytics ingestion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you have found the hotfix

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140920

Just so you are aware, Analytics is going to be very SQL intensive, so just beware that the SQL server will be under load whilst Analytics is loading.

There will also be load on EV as items are recalled from Centera. 

Have you seen the EV 9 Performance guide?  It has the following:

Accelerator server running the analytics’ service. These tasks typically require 30% to 50% CPU on a four-processor system and up to 2 GB additional RAM on top of existing Accelerator requirements during escalation of a single case. Using a 64-bit server with 8 GB of RAM is recommended to handle the concurrent activity.

These tasks also place a high load upon the database server, and a single case escalation can require at least 8 GB of RAM and 80% of four processors at the database server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

I think you have found the hotfix

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140920

Just so you are aware, Analytics is going to be very SQL intensive, so just beware that the SQL server will be under load whilst Analytics is loading.

There will also be load on EV as items are recalled from Centera. 

Have you seen the EV 9 Performance guide?  It has the following:

Accelerator server running the analytics’ service. These tasks typically require 30% to 50% CPU on a four-processor system and up to 2 GB additional RAM on top of existing Accelerator requirements during escalation of a single case. Using a 64-bit server with 8 GB of RAM is recommended to handle the concurrent activity.

These tasks also place a high load upon the database server, and a single case escalation can require at least 8 GB of RAM and 80% of four processors at the database server.

tmurray1
Level 5

Tony thanks for the reply!

Given the requirements I know that I am short on RAM so I would need to purchase additional RAM.  You mentioned that the SQL server will be under load whilst Analytics is loading.  Is this what is referred to as the Analytics Data Collection?  Does Analytics run constantly or does it basically do its work and then give back claimed resources?  I wonder if it is reasonable to run Analytics after hours.

Regards,

Tammy

TonySterling

Yes, I was talking about the Anaytics Data Collection.  When you enable Analytics the process will begin the Data Collection and run till complete. 

idaman
Level 3

To further answer your questions, Yes, once complete Analytics gives back the resources, once the ingestion is complete. I would recommend enabling it as you walk out the door for the evening, so it would be ready for use(search within a search) when you arrived the next day.