cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can EV/DA Exist Without Any Exchange Servers?

El-Kabong
Level 3

My company was acquired and are migrating all users to other company's AD/Exchange.  We were/are doing journaling only on all MBs. (EV 9.02, & Exch 2010 SP1).  No individual MB archiving.  My new company is not planning to continue archiving in any form but will still have to have search/access/export ability to all historical archive data via DA for discovery.

EV will be forklifted over to the new datacenter and kept in the same AD domain with a local DC.  No problems expected there.  As sites & Exchange servers are migrated off, I've been simply deleting the tasks/targets in EV w/o any trouble.  However, as we approach the end, I don't know if we have to leave a single exchange server nearby to maintain functionality with EV/DA.  Can I just remove all Exchange tasks/servers references and completely decouple Exchange/EV when the time comes and not worry about loss of functionality?  Since it's just journaling, once the last MBs come off there will be nothing being archived into EV, so I suspect the answer is 'yes,' but I'm not 100% and haven't found an article specifically referencing this.

I've searched and found some similar Q's, but no bull's-eye references.  Is there a TechNote that describes a particular process for this?  Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can have EV and DA without any Tasks running in EV.  DA only needs the EV Directory Service, Indexing Service, and Storage Service running in order to work.  With no archiving tasks running, you should get better search and export performance from the EV server.

Ken

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Yes, you can have EV and DA without any Tasks running in EV.  DA only needs the EV Directory Service, Indexing Service, and Storage Service running in order to work.  With no archiving tasks running, you should get better search and export performance from the EV server.

Ken

El-Kabong
Level 3

Thanks alot for the quick response, Ken.  That's going to make my life alot easier.

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

You're welcome.

If you're concerned that the new company may want to start journal archiving again and loosing the knowledge to adjust the EV configuration to accommodate that change, you can leave a Journal Task configured in the Tasks folder, but just set it's startup to Disabled.  That way, you can use it as a model should the new company decide they want to start journal archiving your e-mail again.  You would just use the existing Task as a reference model to ensure a new Journal Task to the 'new' Exchange server is properly configured, then delete the 'old' Task.  Of course, that's presuming they want to use your existing EV server.  ;)

ph1llies05
Level 4

Great question, I was looking for the same information.

Ken,

I know you stated that you can run EV and DA without any Tasks running, but how can you perform a restore after performing a search from the EV search.asp webpage?

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

No, you cannot restore as the original or other mailboxes are no longer available.  You can, however, export to PST using the Vault Admin Console, or you can export to MSG, HTML, or PST files using DA.