Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custodian Manager questions

goatboy
Level 6

Hi,

Environment is EV9.0.2/DA9.0.2

I will be setting up Custodian Manager shortly. The documentation explains how to set it up but still have some questions.

The main admin page - http://server2/EVBACustodianManager - is that intended for IT administrators to use, or business users of CA/DA? If it's the latter, how is accessed controlled to this page?

If it's the latter, can I assume that business users can do whatever they need to do directly via the DA client, and never need to visit http://server2/EVBACustodianManager ?

What are the recommended AD synchronisation settings?

Any others tips and tricks? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Okay, just double checked and access to Custodian Manager is going to be managed on the properities of the Customer in the EVBAAdmin page.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

I have only seen it used by the IT administrator, makes sense as they are the ones that will know the account credentials to set up the synchronization.

Also, now that I think of it, I have never tried to access as any account other than the VSA, it would be easy to test though, I just don't have my lab up right now.

TonySterling

Okay, just double checked and access to Custodian Manager is going to be managed on the properities of the Customer in the EVBAAdmin page.

goatboy
Level 6

Much appreciated. Are there guidelines as to the recommended AD synchronisation settings? I only have limited visibility of which options I will need to configure via the DA Administrators Guide (as I have yet to install Custodian Manager).

e.g.

5 Do one of the following, depending on whether you want Custodian Manager

to synchronize with some or all of the containers in the nominated domain

or server:

To synchronize with all the containers, click Whole Domain/Server and

then optionally choose to synchronize with mail-enabled users or

mail-enabled groups only.

To synchronize with selected containers only, click The following

containers and then click Addacontainer to supply the container details.

The frequency with which Custodian Manager synchronizes custodian details

with the corresponding Active Directory or Domino LDAP directory accounts.

The number of days that Custodian Manager should wait before it marks as

deactivated a custodian for whom no Active Directory or Domino LDAP

directory account is available.

Whether to delete the email addresses associated with a custodian before you

synchronize the custodian with the corresponding Active Directory or Domino

LDAP directory account.

TonySterling

I am not sure there has been a best practice guide built around it. 

If anyone in the org could be a custodian you could just synch the whole org, a lot will depend on the company, size of the org, etc...

Not sure if you have seen this:

About Custodian Manager

Article:HOWTO31601  |  Created: 2010-09-23  |  Updated: 2012-06-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31601

About Custodian Manager

Article:HOWTO31601  |  Created: 2010-09-23  |  Updated: 2012-06-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31601

goatboy
Level 6

I have seen that link and the associated ones, thanks. It's just that I don't know all the options I will be presented when I install Custodian Manager, as they are not documented sufficiently in the install guide. Never mind, I will find out soon enough when I install it. Thanks

TonySterling

Ok, sorry, I am wasn't really sure what you were looking for.  It isn't terribly complicated though.  :)

goatboy
Level 6

Hi, I installed Custodian Manager and everything went fine.

Question, when I click on "Manage or Create Custodians", everything is quick in the GUI.

When I click "Manage or Create Groups", it is extremely slow (takes a full minute to get to the next page).

I have about the same number of synched users and groups (~22,000). Any idea why the "Manage or Create Groups" is so slow? Any way to speed it up? Thanks