cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA 11 no customer database update

woelki
Level 4

Unfortunately I did not follow these instructions from the beginning. So I started to install a dedicated EV 11 server from the install media by using the install wizard. This server came on top to our 3 server environment with EV 10 (plus additional SQL server), where each server got a dedicated task. One for FSA, one for indexing, one for archiving.

In general I wouldn't mix up the EV versions, but as the DA server holds non of the above mentioned services and we are going to upgrade to EV 11 in the near future I decided to install the EV11 basics with DA 11

Then I followed the instructions here above and I could go through it smoothly. I could successfully create a customer database, but interestingly the database is not able to update.

Error message in evbaadmin:

ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

Event ID 59:

APP ATM - Failed to update database. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at KVS.Accelerator.Application.Install.UpdateDatabase(CustomerRow theCustomerRow, String configDSN)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

woelki
Level 4

HI there,

as by default the DA Server has been set into the SQL Server field. For sure I fixed this already. But only after a recreation if the customer DB and directly entering the right SQL server, everything has been created correctly.

Kind reagrds,

woelki 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello, woelki;

First, you will not be able to consistently run DA searches, reviews and exports while your DA server is running EV 11 and your EV servers are running EV 10.  That is what we call a binary version mismatch that is not supported.  If you are going to upgrade the EV servers soon, you can leave the DA server with the EV 11 binaries installed, but don't expect searches and such to work properly until you've upgraded the EV servers to match.

As for your failure in the customer db upgrade, please be sure of the following:

1. Is the SQL Server name correct in the customer properties?  This server name should match the SQL server name used when creating the DA configuration database unless you specifically want the config and customer dbs on different SQL servers.  By default, the SQL server field is populated with the name of the DA server and MUST be changed to point to the right SQL server.  This step is often missed

2. Is the path you specified for each of the customer database and transaction log files local to the SQL server (i.e., 'E:\SQLData' and 'F:\SQLLogs')?  If not, change this information to reflect local drive paths on the SQL Server where the database's mdf and ldf files are to be created.

3. Make sure your SQL Server has sufficient TCP Ports available for the connection needed for the upgrade.  Check out TECH61153 for more information about this possible cause of your issue.

Kind regards,

Ken

woelki
Level 4

Hi Ken,

thanks for your reply.

to 1.) I already mentioned that and I set the correct SQL server.

to 2.) Yes, the folders are local on the SQL server and set with their local drive letter in the config.

to 3.) unfortunately I could not find this technote TECH61153 

If our EV11 upgrade should be delayed due to other projects, do I have to be aware of something special if I remove DA11 and install DA10.

Without deeper plannings I would process the deinstallation wizard and remove the newly created SQL DB and 'E:\SQLData' and 'F:\SQLLogs'

Is there even more to think about?

Kind regards,

woelki

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello, woelki;

I apologize for not seeing where you stated you put the correct SQL Server reference in the SQL Server field.  I looked over your post again and still did not see that information, so I'm obviously missing something.

I also apologize for you not being able to access TECH61153.  Someone made it internal to Symantec.  I updated it and made it public again.  This article is mostly for searches not running and the Accelerator Manager service stopping, but it could also apply to database upgrads failing should there not be enough TCP ports available to support the needed connectivitybetween the Accelerator and SQL servers.

Since you're using DA, you could leave DA at the 11 version and replace the EV binaries on the DA server with the EV 10 binaries that match the EV version running on your indexing / storage servers.

Going back to your upgrade failure, have you checked to be sure all of the firewalls on the DA and SQL servers are off or properly configured to allow the needed traffic between those servers?  Also, do you have Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) installed as your antivirus solution on your SQL Server?  If so, you may need to temporarily disable SEP on the SQL Server in order to get the database upgrade to succeed.

If you're still having the customer db upgrade failure and have not called in a support case, please do so that we can get you the support you need to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Ken

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

On the SQL server can you check if you have the SQL Server service running as Log On As account - Network Service?

You need to set the SQL Server service to Log On As - Local Service and retry

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi can you make sure the sql server services are running under local account not like a network service. Then tey to create the database again

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Woelki, did you ever get this issue resolved?

woelki
Level 4

HI there,

as by default the DA Server has been set into the SQL Server field. For sure I fixed this already. But only after a recreation if the customer DB and directly entering the right SQL server, everything has been created correctly.

Kind reagrds,

woelki