cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA 80SP5 - Create customer on SQL2005 with instance

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

strange issue. I've succesfully installed DA in a site. I am now trying to create a customer. The EV server and the SQL server are seperate.

I enter as SQLserver SERVERNAME\INSTANCE

Add appropriate logfile and databasefile directory. I get an error that the instance cannot be found.

Error in EV-eventlog is: APP ATM - Error installing a Customer.
Install Thread - worker thread (1)
Customer ID: 3
Number of tries: 1
Cause: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Is the format I use correct? Additionally, the instance listens to a different port. Should I add the port?

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA

In SQL-server under Database Details, enter the IP-address of the SQL server, with the instancename...

10.10.0.10\INSTANCE

Then it works. Issue due to Named Pipes being disabled. When disabled, apparently creating a customer uses Named Pipes?

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try a \\ before the server name

Regarding the port i have not had to deal with that before but my gues is that if a non standard port  is used you should specify the port otherwise it has no way to communocate with it

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Correction put a / in the server/instance as specified in  "SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

GertjanA

Helo Liam,

I've tried:

servername\instance (fails)

servername\instance,port (fails)

servername/instance (fails)

servername/instance,port (fails)

servername/instance:port (fails)

servername\instance:port (fails)

The exact message is:

APP ATM - Error installing a Customer.
Install Thread - worker thread (0)
Customer ID: 4
Number of tries: 1
Cause: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Note that it reads Named Pipes Provider! I believe our SQL server only allows TCP/IP. I'm checking with SQL-team to enable NamedPipes, then will try again

Regards. Gertjan

GertjanA

In SQL-server under Database Details, enter the IP-address of the SQL server, with the instancename...

10.10.0.10\INSTANCE

Then it works. Issue due to Named Pipes being disabled. When disabled, apparently creating a customer uses Named Pipes?

Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Yes it does use names pipes during the creation

If i remember correctly having this turned on is a requirement. You should consider enabeling it 

GertjanA

Hello Liam,

I checked the installing and configuring and the Admin guides from 8 and 9, there is no mention that named pipes is required.

It would be handy to have this listed somewhere.

Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

I will pass the suggestion to the PM on having it added to the Doc's