cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA Client 10: Cannot search archive as directory recovery is unavailable

jsellgren
Level 3

Community, 

I apologize if this is something simple, but I am having difficulty conducing a search in DA. I have a Case created, and when I specify a search, the search status errors with "Cannot search archive as directory recovery is unavailable". I also have an event in the EV event logs: 

APP AT - Customer ID:8 - Error processing Vault to Search off the queue: Searching Vault Thread - worker thread for index server:1 (8)

Vault ID: 1835

Number of tries: 5

Cause:Cannot search archive as directory recovery is unavailable

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thor
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Customer rebuilt EV environment with correct Site name and alias. Now can search using DA.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So DA thinks "recovery" is the ev alias.  Is that correct?

If you ping recovery what does it resolve to?

Is this a new install or upgrade?

Is DA installed on the EV server?

What version of EV?

jsellgren
Level 3

Hello Tony, 

Thank you for the quick response. Here is the information you have asked for:

So DA thinks "recovery" is the ev alias.  Is that correct?

Yes, this is the alias name.

If you ping recovery what does it resolve to?

It resolves to the IP address of the EV server

Is this a new install or upgrade?

New install 

Is DA installed on the EV server?

Yes

What version of EV?

TonySterling

Ok, are the EV services running? 

jsellgren
Level 3

Yes, they are running.

Ealier I was having a problem that did deal with the alias. My original problem was that there weren't any Vault Stores listed in my DA > Application > Archives section.

My site name is different from my site alias. My EV site name is NPC_XCH and my alias is "recovery". Symantec Support had me add a CNAME record to DNS called NPC_XCH along with the normal CNAME record of "recovery" and had it point to the A record of the EV server. After restarting the EVAMS service, we checked the Archives section and the Vault Store appeared.

I thought I was good to go until I created a Case and tried to perform a search at which point I ran into the current issue.....

TonySterling

ok, so do all the archives actually have items in them?  It might seem weird but I have seen empty archives cause a similar issue with search.

jsellgren
Level 3

That's a great question! I hadn't thought of checking that.

Is there a utiltity that I can use that will report if there are items or not?

TonySterling

You can view the usage page.  it will be http://evserver/enterprisevault/usage.asp

just replace evserver with your site alias, so in your case I guess it is http://recovery/enterprisevault/usage.asp

jsellgren
Level 3

That would seem to be part of the problem. When I went to the usage page, it displayed no items were archived. I then went to the Site properties > Archive Usage Limit tab > and saw that "Enabled' was unchecked. I checked the property and set the Archive size limit to 1000 MB. I then restarted all of the EV services.

Is there an additional step that I am missing to get EV to begin the archive process?

TonySterling

Ok, first thing, undue what you just did.  That will actually only allow the archive to grow to that size and may not be what you want to do.

Secondly, what is your archive target?  Exchange, Domino, FSA, etc...??

There are docs included with the installation media that start with "Setting_up_" I would recommend you refer to those.

For example, for Exchange you would follow Setting_up_Exchange_Server_Archiving.pdf.

Lastly, are you going at this all alone?  Is this a test environment?  I would recommend if you are setting up a production system and need to do Legal Discovery you reach out to a certified partner and get some help.  If this is for evaluation, your reseller should really be helping you.

HTH!

TonySterling

Where you able to get items archived?  If you are still struggling, what are you targets?  ie, Exchange, File Servers, etc...

Thor
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Customer rebuilt EV environment with correct Site name and alias. Now can search using DA.

jsellgren
Level 3

Yes, I apologize about responding so late....with Thor's troubleshooting, we decided to do a fresh install because the Site name was different from the Site alias.

After performing the fresh install, and making the Site name the same as the Site alias, the system was performing as normal.

Thank you again Thor for your assistance.