cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA Minimum Word Size?

Scott__Hastings
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Is there a minimum word size that DA must have to search on a word? I am searching on a 2 letter word and getting an excessive number of hits.

Thanks

scott

Scott D Hastings Sr
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, for 32-bit indexes you need at least 3 characters before the wildcard.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

So is the two letter word actually in all your hits? 

Are you only searching for the two letter word? I am not aware of a minimum number of characters except when using a wildcard.

Scott__Hastings
Level 5

The word or abbreviation is SI. I do see yellow highlight where SI appears by itself, but there are hundreds of thousands of returns where I don't see a highlighted SI, but I do see basic, assist, Asia, etc.

It makes me wonder how well the indexes handle a word like this. Ideally, si should search like any other word, No?

What is the minuimum using a wildcard?

scott 

Scott D Hastings Sr

TonySterling

According to this it is 3, but I am pretty sure that it is only for 32-bit indexes.  What version of EV and DA and do you have any 32 bit indexes?

About the search criteria options

Article:HOWTO58624  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58624

You could enable Search Criteria and see what is being passed to EV.

Discovery Accelerator searches return unexpected results

Article:HOWTO58684  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58684

Scott__Hastings
Level 5

9.0.3.... 32 bit indexes.

Is this where it says at least 3 characters?

A wildcard search always finds items that match your search criteria and that were archived in Enterprise Vault 10.0 or later. To ensure that the search results also include older matching items that are in your archives, enter at least three other characters before the wildcard. For example, the following search string returns hits for the words "make", "maker", "making", "wonder", "wondering", and so on:

Scott D Hastings Sr

TonySterling

Yes, for 32-bit indexes you need at least 3 characters before the wildcard.

Scott__Hastings
Level 5

Thanks Tony.... My client was under the impression that they were getting partial hits on SI.. i.e. basic, assist, Asia, etc. Infurther investigation I realized that every e-mail in their search results had a stand alone SI... so it does work with only 2 letters.

Scott D Hastings Sr