cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA seach terms and special characters

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hello,

We recently had a case where we were asked to search for the term (2%) regarding a legal case, the problem is that the % is ignored and every "2" becomes a hit. I do not see mention of special characters in the review guide but was wondering if someone might have some info on only getting hits for (2%) only?

Note: We are running 8.0sp5

Thanks,

Travis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

More to your point, DA ignores the % sign.  I think it is documented in the help.  Here is a excerpt from a TN for DA 9 but does apply to 8.

• Discovery Accelerator ignores any nonalphanumeric characters in the search term, except for those that have special significance, such as the plus sign, minus sign, and question mark.

For example, a search for the term US@100 may find instances not only of US@100 but also of US 100 and US$100. Including nonalphanumeric characters in the search term may therefore return more results than you expect.

Is there anything else they can key off of?  Maybe Analytics would help cull the data down??

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

idaman22
Level 4

AltaVista indexing can only search against 3 characters in a sequence, anything less is will generate multiple undesired hits.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

More to your point, DA ignores the % sign.  I think it is documented in the help.  Here is a excerpt from a TN for DA 9 but does apply to 8.

• Discovery Accelerator ignores any nonalphanumeric characters in the search term, except for those that have special significance, such as the plus sign, minus sign, and question mark.

For example, a search for the term US@100 may find instances not only of US@100 but also of US 100 and US$100. Including nonalphanumeric characters in the search term may therefore return more results than you expect.

Is there anything else they can key off of?  Maybe Analytics would help cull the data down??

Vikes_2
Level 6

Thanks Guys I very much appreciate the info, I will have to let legal know they are a little short on the keywords.

Travis