cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Accelerator Custodian Limitation of 1000

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

I am using Discovery Accelerator 8.0 SP5 and new feature has been put in place that's, well, terrible. When creating a new search within a case, the custodian user selection has now been limited to show only 1000 custodians. This is great if you only need to create a search of five people, but if I need to select 500 people, I cannot render the entire custodian list in the view and just select the 500 people.

This is because my custodian list is over 10,000 custodians. I am now forced to type in a few characters and attempt to shorten the list to select the custodians. I have to keep repeating this process to get through 500 custodians. In SP3, select 500 custodians took me about an hour or so. In SP5, this takes over 4 hours now because I have to keep trying to adjust the search to show the custodians I still need to select while staying within the 1000 limit.

To add the misery, why F$*% was the Enter key function now removed!!! So not only do I need to type in the search to get a smaller view, DA now forces me to click Find instead of just pressing Enter. That completely makes no sense.

So the question is, does anyone know how to increase the 1000 limit to something like 50000?

Thanks and sorry for the rant but Symantec sometimes just doesn't understand larger case matters in DA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Would suggest contacting support and putting your case to them as well as your symantec reps whether it be a bcam, sales engineer or rpm and such However frustrated you may feel at this, please try and maintain a level of respect here as we're for the most part volunteers (save for the few symantec employees and support reps that answer questions)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Would suggest contacting support and putting your case to them as well as your symantec reps whether it be a bcam, sales engineer or rpm and such However frustrated you may feel at this, please try and maintain a level of respect here as we're for the most part volunteers (save for the few symantec employees and support reps that answer questions)

JesusWept3
Level 6
Actually thinking about this, you could create a distribution list in AD or LDAP query and then sync that over and search on that one group, otherwise you could also do an XML import of the custodians instead whin may cut your time down

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

That is possible a reasonable workaround for that. I'd have to see how accurate it would be. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alok_Dave
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hello Mkimler,

You might want to take a look at Discovery Accelerator 9.0 SP1 release. We have modified the Custodian Picket UI to allow many other use cases. 

It still has limit to show maximum 1000 users for your single input but now as a user you now have an option to give multiple input ( each on separate line ) and then search for all of them together.

Hopefully this should give you much pleasant experience of working with Discovery Accelerator.

Cheers,

Alok

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

Dear Symantec,

After upgrading to DA 9.0.2 I have noticed that the limitations of 1000 custodians listed when selecting through DA still exists. I am curious why this is still configured this terrible way. Having over 19000 custodians in my database, I was able to load the page absolutely fine in under 5 seconds. At what point was over 1000 custodians in the view too much for someone to handle? Again, this makes adding more than 100 custodians to a search a HUGE impact because I cannot just scroll through and select them. I have to use the search window to find them. This was absolutely fine in 8.2, please go back. Frankly, this sucks.

In version 9, to perhaps create some use for that limitation you presented, you attempted to put this ingenious way of searching for custodian names through multiple attributes. The problem is that it's still just to search one custodian's name. And it's not even attributes, it's just the custodian manager display name!!  So I'm sorry, but how many ways are there to slice up a person's name? Do people really need multiple lines of attributes to find John Doe? Wouldn't simply searching John D have been sufficient? It was before.

I would understand if it gave me any sort of functionality, but this gave me nothing. More importantly, it's still taking away a BASIC approach to searching for things. Go to google.com or yahoo.com. You type in a search term and you press enter. How many people actually click the Search button on those sites? Probably only people that really don't use computers every day like we do. The rest of the world smacks the enter key to get the results of their search. You do the opposite...

You hit enter in that field and drops to another line like I'm usng Word. Seriously, why? You force me to click the Find button to further slow my process of adding custodians to a search. And I think most individuals here are trying to implement searches fast because that what our legal departments want.

Now, not wanting to be just a complainer, I'd propose the following:

1 - Make it a CHOICE in the DA client to determine how many custodians will be displayed in the view. Leave it up to the customer to decide.

2 - Set the field for searching in the "Choose custodians and / or custodian groups" to execute a search when pressing enter.

3 - Change the search field in that window to indeed allow searching other fields in the custodian database, like email address, display name and the username.

Please, this is really hard to manage with these changes you are making. It's not scaling to large businesses that have heavy legal matters.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Fill out an "Ideas" post and not a forum post if you haven't already.  This is where suggestions of changes for products go and are reviewed by Product management.