cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Accelerator - Hits vs Export Items

tmurray1
Level 5

I am running Discovery Accelerator and Enterprise Vault v8 SP4.  When doing an Export from the Cases screen we are finding that the number of hits for a search does not equal the number of items exported.  There are no export errors.  In most cases the number of items exported is less than the number of search hits.  Is Discovery Accelerator de-duping during the export?  How do I know if it is de-duping?

Thank you!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, that is correct.  This happens when you do searches with the "include items already captured" option.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Alok_Dave
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hello There,

Discovery Accelerator 8.0 SP4 didn't had functionality of De-duplication during Export/Production run. That was introduced DA 9.0 onwards. So de-duplication of results is definately not the reason.

Items to be exported is always decided on the basis of selection crieteria that you have used before running the export. For example, DA Export screen given you some of the following options.

- Export items which are Marked as Relevant / Not Releavant

- Export items which are last marked by User1 / User2 .

Due to the options you have selected in that page, number of exported items will typically be the subset of the total discovered items in that case.

Before the Discovery Accelerator performs the export run, it up-front tells the count of items which get exported ( as well as the crieteria due to which they were added in the export run )

I would request you to confirm that with you expectation. If you still have have doubt then we would proabably require some example like Crieteria selection, Total number of items in Case, Total items to be exported due to the run.

This will help us understanding you problem better.

HTH.

tmurray1
Level 5

Hi Alok,

Thanks for responding.  I ran the 'Searches Report' (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO17471) and found that the '# of unique hits' equals the number of items that results when the customer performs an export.  So it seems like if she has a prior search that contains an item and the same item is found in the next search then that item will be omitted from the export.  Is this correct?

Thanks!!! 

TonySterling

Yes, that is correct.  This happens when you do searches with the "include items already captured" option.

tmurray1
Level 5

Thanks Tony!!!

tmurray1
Level 5

Tony,  I am hoping for a little more clarification about the option 'Include items already in review'.  My customer is doing immediate searches.  She already has some searches in this case (some are In Review and some are Pending Acceptance).  She performs a new search and selects 'Include items already in review' her number of hits is 43,373 but her number of items exported is 29,878.  Does this mean that only 29,878 matched the criteria and the other 13,495 are items that were discovered in a previous search?  If she would have deselected 'Include items already in review' her hit count would have been simply 29,878?

In her case, I do not see any value in selecting this option.

Thank you.

TonySterling

One thing to note, items Pending Acceptance will not be eligible for export.

Selecting Include items already in review is very usefull if you want to do an export based on a specific search.  You can also use it to narrow down what is in the review pane by selecting the search facet and picking what searches you want to see in the review set.

If you are running searches based on different hotwords I would recommend you select it as otherwise you will not know if an item was part of a previous search with different hotwords.

Hope that helps!