Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Accelerator and SQL on the same box

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all
I have a customer who is thinking about Discovery Accelerator as well as the clustered EV solution they want.
They have a VMWARE ESX environment that they would like to use for SQL as they have for some other applications for high availablity etc.
However after reading the DA best practices guide they are a little worried that it may overload and affect the other VMware guests.

I have not had much to to with DA recently, but is it supported to have its SQL databases and DA on the same server?
I am thinking of having the directory and config databases on a virtual server to get the high availability aspect of VMWARE for those and having a separate physical server / blade running DA and its own SQL instance to host the DA databases.

I was thinking about a dual quad core blade with 8 GB memory SAN attached storage and WIndows 2008 x64 on it which should do the job.

Thanks in advance

SP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ed_Whyatt
Level 2
Employee
Hi,

The configuration is fine, however DA has large SQL database(s) associated with it. Does your customer plan on enabling Analytics on any DA cases? This factor should also be taken into consideration if planning to co-locate DA and SQL. Furthermore, if your customer plans to export items from DA to PST or NSF format, they will need Outlook/Lotus Notes installed on the DA server as well.

Cheers
Ed

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I really don't see an issue with it to be honest as long as the CPU and the memory is powerful enough and the SQL Databases are housed on the correct storage
(i.e temp/master on one spindle, databases on another and the transaction logs on another), reason being is the temp, configuration and customer databases will be used *a lot* and if the transaction logs, database writes and tempdb writes are all on the same disk, the DiskQueueLength will go through the roof and then start causing blocks within SQL

But really the majority of the work will be put on the Enterprise Vault Index and Storage Servers.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Ed_Whyatt
Level 2
Employee
Hi,

The configuration is fine, however DA has large SQL database(s) associated with it. Does your customer plan on enabling Analytics on any DA cases? This factor should also be taken into consideration if planning to co-locate DA and SQL. Furthermore, if your customer plans to export items from DA to PST or NSF format, they will need Outlook/Lotus Notes installed on the DA server as well.

Cheers
Ed

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Thanks guys for the confirmation

SP