cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DA support CNames?

Hi Guys,

I installed a brand new DA server called DAServer1 and configured customer and custodian db's.  Then installed a second DA server called DAServer2 with binaries only, no config, for standby in DR location.

Next I created a CName called DA1 pointing to DAServer1.

The DA server move directions as listed here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55065 mention copying config files and changing the following 3 config db entries: tblCustomer\IIS, tblGroup\Name and tblServer\Name.

I copied the config files to DAServer2 and changed the 3 entries above to point to the CName DA1.

After starting DA Admin service DA seems to be working fine.

However EVBAAdmin shows 2 server entries:

1. DA1 with the customer and custodian db's under it. The 3 default tasks (customer service, analytics service, customer tasks) are enabled and running.

2. DAServer1 with no db's.  However it is showing the 3 default tasks (customer service, analytics service, customer tasks) as enabled and running.  I can stop the last 2, but the first it won't let me stop saying it needs at least one customer service task to be running.  When I tried to right-click and remove the server, it errored and is still there.

This seems odd to me.  I've done this procedure before many times when moving DA servers from one physical to another, but never to replace a physical name with a CName.  I wonder if that's the issue and if I should leave it or switch back.

Thanks,

 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

I restored the EVDAconfig db

I restored the EVDAconfig db to the backup.  The customer config page shows you can only change the IIS server name and using CName there works fine.  This is the first value for tblCustmer.

However when you are creating a customer db, it does not let you assign a CName to the other 2 values in tblGroup and tblServer.  It uses the server netbios name of the machine you are on.

Hence my guess is DA requires netbios name and does not support CNames.

So when failing over, this needs to be done manually as described in the article above.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Accepted Solution!

I restored the EVDAconfig db

I restored the EVDAconfig db to the backup.  The customer config page shows you can only change the IIS server name and using CName there works fine.  This is the first value for tblCustmer.

However when you are creating a customer db, it does not let you assign a CName to the other 2 values in tblGroup and tblServer.  It uses the server netbios name of the machine you are on.

Hence my guess is DA requires netbios name and does not support CNames.

So when failing over, this needs to be done manually as described in the article above.

Thanks,

View solution in original post