cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude Items From Search

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Is there a way to perfrom a search\export for all items to\from a particular user, but that would exclude certain words\phrases?

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hey Andrew. what are you using? EV 11 Search, DA, Clearwell, old Search page?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried the "NOT" operator?

Refer to Pg# 26 & 27 of the below white paper.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH88031.html

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Using DA 10.4

It looks like I can use the NOT operator? If that's the case, is it as simple using -"exclude this phrase" ?

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Beat me to it Amol....

Trying that now

AndrewB

correct

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Not sure now if the NOT operator will work. Accoding to the document;

The Boolean NOT limits your search by returning only results containing the first word but not if the second word is also contained. When using the NOT operator, Discovery Accelerator is instructed to exclude the result if the word or phrase following is found in the same result returned by any other word or phrase on that line in the search field. 

However, we have been given a list of phrases that need to be excluded from all email captured for a particular set of users.

For example, turn over all email sent to\from Joe over the last three years but do not include any emails that mention;

Attorney-Client Communication or Project 10

The NOT operaor only seems to apply if we were looking to exclude the phrase "Project 10" if it is mentioned in conjunction with another word or phrase.

Is that a correct assumption?

AndrewB

i ran a test in my lab and it appears to work the way you want it to. i did a search to/from a certain custodian and reviewed the results. i then ran the same search and used the NOT operator to exclude a phrase from the content. the new results didnt show the emails with the excluded phrase, as expected.

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Thanks Andrew - I'll give that a try

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

DASearch.jpg

This is how I am doing the search. However, when I try a search with or without the phrases I get the same amount of hits. Am I missing something?

AndrewB

i dont know why you would get a different outcome then i did. maybe test with one excluded phrase to start?