cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple DA-sites, next question...

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

We have multiple (geographically decided) Enterprise Vault sites, each having their own DA-server.

We will soon be upgrading to 8.05, then to 9.02. The EV-sites are called differently, and have different service-accounts, but they all are in the same windows-domain.

During the pre-upgrade investigation, I found that several of these sites still run SQL2000. DA8 (according to deployment scanner) will not run on SQL2000.

It is possible to upgrade a site on SQL2000 to 8.x.

Is it possible to have DA for such a site run on a SQL-server that is not ' local'  to the site (and runs SQL2005/2008)?

Assume:

Site A, runs EV8 on SQL2005 with DA8 and 1 client machine

Site B, runs EV8 on SQL2000. Can I use the DA installed in site A, but then target the EV in site B? How about the config-database? Would I need to use seperate instances for DA, so I can have multiple configurations? I am afraid that if the above is possible (1 DA targeting multiple sites) the customer database would be enormous, and it is possible for researchers to accidentally target the wrong site when researching.

I know we have to upgrade to SQL2005 (preferably 2008) asap, but changes only go that fast....

Thanks.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can run DA over the WAN to a remote database but you will see degridation in the performance as the calls from the DA server to the remote SQl will slow down the communication

Also if the sites has it's own EV servers then you will see even more WAN congestion as the DA server issues the queries to the EV servers and in return the EV servers returning the result sets back to the DA server.

Your WAN speed, latency and utilization will play a big part if this will be sucessful or not

If you move the DA database to the newer version of SQL you need to ensure that you change the Database compatability level from 80 to 90

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

You can run DA over the WAN to a remote database but you will see degridation in the performance as the calls from the DA server to the remote SQl will slow down the communication

Also if the sites has it's own EV servers then you will see even more WAN congestion as the DA server issues the queries to the EV servers and in return the EV servers returning the result sets back to the DA server.

Your WAN speed, latency and utilization will play a big part if this will be sucessful or not

If you move the DA database to the newer version of SQL you need to ensure that you change the Database compatability level from 80 to 90

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks Liam for answering. That is what I thought.

Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Do you have a WAN emulator? Something like Networknightmare(device) or dummynet (open source Software)? if you had you could setup a lab and simulate the latency and WAN port speeds affect on the traffic.

In most cases the Latency within a country is 50ms or less once you cross boarders it will increase to 100 - 150 on the same contenent and international from 150 - 300 depending on where you are linking to

If you had you could setup a LAB with EV and see how the app responds to the latency and speed variations. I'm doing a simular modeling for a different application right now