cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proximity Operator

MMcGinley
Level 2

Hello,

Our legal team has requested we perform discovery using a proximity operator.  Specifically two words that appear within 3 words of each other.  I have read I could use NEAR, but that limits the proximity to 50 words which is not suitable at this time.  Are their any new features in newer versions of Evault \ Discovery Accelerator that would allow for a more defined proximity search?

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can use the * to represent 3 words

Example 

Stock * * * Price

Stock * * Price

Stock * Price

Price * * * Stock

Price * * Stock

Price * Stock

This will search both before and after stock for the word price within 4. Each * with a space in between represents a wildcard word

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

You can use the * to represent 3 words

Example 

Stock * * * Price

Stock * * Price

Stock * Price

Price * * * Stock

Price * * Stock

Price * Stock

This will search both before and after stock for the word price within 4. Each * with a space in between represents a wildcard word

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Just another note.

If you really want to get into detail on proximity searching then Clearwell is the solution for you. Clearwell brings with it the ability to do real proximity searching using criteria like Stock w/3 Price so there is no need to build out the variations like i did in the last reply

MMcGinley
Level 2

Thanks!  I will give that a shot.  Yes, Clearwell seems like a really nice solution but its also a lot more cash!

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

true there's added cost but the benefit you might get with a single litigation win will typically cover it!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

I believe there is a license option for people moveing from DA to Clearwell so it is worth bringing the topic up with your account manager

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Not only the win but the cost saving on what is actualy being produced will also offset the overall costs as Clearwell has seen 90% decrease beween whats collected to whats produced.

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

DA uses a ranking system when obtaining results from Analytics Enabled cases such that words that appear closer together logically will be sorted top down in the result set based on their relevance. More information on how the SQL Full text Index algorithm sorts results can be found at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc879245(v=sql.110).aspx. 

So in essence this may well still meet your requirements if you are looking for best hits within 3 terms of each other.

A defect in 'Quick Search' was also addressed in 9.0.3 to ensure that it will also adhere to this method.