cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searches for 2-letter acronyms

heybridget
Not applicable

We need to run a search on an abbreviation -- "SS" which is sometimes used as shorthand for "Sponsored Stories". What's the way to do that, without catching any word with "ss" in it, like kiss, diss, mass, etc.?

We tried " SS " (spaces before and after in the quotes) and that didn’t work b/c it picked up "process" and "business".

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Scanner001 is correct in that we cannot distinguish 2 characters as being separate from any others in DA searches within DA 6, 7, 2007, 8 or 9.  The spaces you tried before and after the " SS " test were ignored and considered as though they were any or no character.

You can verify the search criteria passed to the search engine yourself by

1) Opening the DA Client with an account with sufficient Application level permissions to change configuration settings (such as the Vault Service Account).

2) Accessing the Configuration tab's Settings sub-tab.

3) Expanding the Diagnostics folder.

4) Placing a check mark in the Value column's check box for the 'Save Search Criteria' option.

5) Saving the change and acknowledging the pop-up stating that the Customer Background Task must be restarted.

6) Restarting the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS) on the DA Server.

7) Configuring and running a new search (you can use the previous search as a template, if you want).

8) Looking in the folder with the DA Customer name under the 'Enterprise Vault Business Accelerator\SearchCriterias' folder.

9) Opening the Criteria_###.txt file related to the search (where ### is a number that denotes the latest search criteria saved).

10) Looking in the 'Native Query:' section for the search terms.

I did these steps in my lab, using ".SS." as the search term in the Content section.  The 'Native Query:' section shows this term as "(text:ss AND".  The leading and following periods that I used were considered the same as spaces will be - ignored as no or any character.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

I dont believe you can search for SS because it will bring up all of the other results.

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Scanner001 is correct in that we cannot distinguish 2 characters as being separate from any others in DA searches within DA 6, 7, 2007, 8 or 9.  The spaces you tried before and after the " SS " test were ignored and considered as though they were any or no character.

You can verify the search criteria passed to the search engine yourself by

1) Opening the DA Client with an account with sufficient Application level permissions to change configuration settings (such as the Vault Service Account).

2) Accessing the Configuration tab's Settings sub-tab.

3) Expanding the Diagnostics folder.

4) Placing a check mark in the Value column's check box for the 'Save Search Criteria' option.

5) Saving the change and acknowledging the pop-up stating that the Customer Background Task must be restarted.

6) Restarting the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS) on the DA Server.

7) Configuring and running a new search (you can use the previous search as a template, if you want).

8) Looking in the folder with the DA Customer name under the 'Enterprise Vault Business Accelerator\SearchCriterias' folder.

9) Opening the Criteria_###.txt file related to the search (where ### is a number that denotes the latest search criteria saved).

10) Looking in the 'Native Query:' section for the search terms.

I did these steps in my lab, using ".SS." as the search term in the Content section.  The 'Native Query:' section shows this term as "(text:ss AND".  The leading and following periods that I used were considered the same as spaces will be - ignored as no or any character.