cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching BCC in Discovery Accelerator

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

The guide on effective searching for DA states that the BCC information can be searched via a custom attribute in the search. However, I've tested this and I cannot seem to search BCC items in my version 9.2 DA environment. Has anyone else noticed this problem or has had success searching for BCC information?

As a follow up, does anyone know a way to see if an email items discovered by DA was actually read by the custodian?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How did you get along with this issue?  Have you been able to get your BCC search to work in DA?

If not, try this:

1) Create a new search within any Case.

2) Expand the 'Custom attribute' section at the bottom of the search criteria.

3) In the first 'Free form attribute' line, enter into the 'Attribute:' field rbcc.

4) In the 'Type:' field, leave "String' selected.

5) In the 'Operator:' field, select the appropriate option (I recommend "Any" if you are only supplying 1 BCC recipient).

6) In the 'Value:' field, enter the BCC recipient information (either display name or e-mail address in SMTP format)

7) Set any other search criteria necessary (I recommend only the date range to search, but you could also add author (From) information and / or subject and / or content as needed).

8) Save the search to run it.

You can also create a custom attribute that is readily available in any new search in any case.  Such custom search attributes must be configured at the Application level.  So

1) Click on the Configuration tab in the DA client.

2) Click on the Search Attributes sub-tab to display the custom attributes page.

3) Click on the New button to create a new search attribute.

4) Leave the "Template:" line's drop down menu alone.

5) Enter rbcc in the "Name:' line.

6) Provide a name for the attribute in the "Display name:" line (i.e., BCC Display Name or Email Address).

7) Provide a description in the "Description:" field if desired (not required).

8) Make the appropriate selection from the drop down options in the "Type:" line (if you want to enter only 1 BCC recipient, then select the 'Single line' option, or select the 'Multiple lines' option if you want to enter 1 or more BCC recipients in the search critreria).

9) In the "Data type:" line, select the 'String' option (may be the only option available).

10) Leave the "Mandatory" check box unchecked unless you want to require ALL searches in ALL cases to specify at least 1 BCC recipient.

11) Leave the "Default value:" line set with "" unless you want ALL searches in ALL cases to search for the same BCC recipient.

12) Leave the "Operators:" selections set to "Any" and "All' to provide maximum formatting options.  You may want to select all of the operators for maximum flexibility though (I did).

13) Click the Save button.

Now, go into the Search tab of any Case and create a new search.  Note a new section at the bottom named "Custom attributes" will be displayed.  Expanding the section will show you the new attribute you just created.

The rbcc attribute allows you to enter the BCC information using either the display name or SMTP address of the recipient.  You can fine tune this entry to require

- only display name using the rbdn attribute

- only the SMTP address using the rbsm attribute

- only other types of addresses using the rbot attribute

- any e-mail address using the rbea attrribute.

Please let us know if this information provides the resolution you want.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

What version of Da are you using and what level of indexing are you doing

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

How did you get along with this issue?  Have you been able to get your BCC search to work in DA?

If not, try this:

1) Create a new search within any Case.

2) Expand the 'Custom attribute' section at the bottom of the search criteria.

3) In the first 'Free form attribute' line, enter into the 'Attribute:' field rbcc.

4) In the 'Type:' field, leave "String' selected.

5) In the 'Operator:' field, select the appropriate option (I recommend "Any" if you are only supplying 1 BCC recipient).

6) In the 'Value:' field, enter the BCC recipient information (either display name or e-mail address in SMTP format)

7) Set any other search criteria necessary (I recommend only the date range to search, but you could also add author (From) information and / or subject and / or content as needed).

8) Save the search to run it.

You can also create a custom attribute that is readily available in any new search in any case.  Such custom search attributes must be configured at the Application level.  So

1) Click on the Configuration tab in the DA client.

2) Click on the Search Attributes sub-tab to display the custom attributes page.

3) Click on the New button to create a new search attribute.

4) Leave the "Template:" line's drop down menu alone.

5) Enter rbcc in the "Name:' line.

6) Provide a name for the attribute in the "Display name:" line (i.e., BCC Display Name or Email Address).

7) Provide a description in the "Description:" field if desired (not required).

8) Make the appropriate selection from the drop down options in the "Type:" line (if you want to enter only 1 BCC recipient, then select the 'Single line' option, or select the 'Multiple lines' option if you want to enter 1 or more BCC recipients in the search critreria).

9) In the "Data type:" line, select the 'String' option (may be the only option available).

10) Leave the "Mandatory" check box unchecked unless you want to require ALL searches in ALL cases to specify at least 1 BCC recipient.

11) Leave the "Default value:" line set with "" unless you want ALL searches in ALL cases to search for the same BCC recipient.

12) Leave the "Operators:" selections set to "Any" and "All' to provide maximum formatting options.  You may want to select all of the operators for maximum flexibility though (I did).

13) Click the Save button.

Now, go into the Search tab of any Case and create a new search.  Note a new section at the bottom named "Custom attributes" will be displayed.  Expanding the section will show you the new attribute you just created.

The rbcc attribute allows you to enter the BCC information using either the display name or SMTP address of the recipient.  You can fine tune this entry to require

- only display name using the rbdn attribute

- only the SMTP address using the rbsm attribute

- only other types of addresses using the rbot attribute

- any e-mail address using the rbea attrribute.

Please let us know if this information provides the resolution you want.