cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Recommendations 7.5 - 7.5sp5 or 7.5 to 8.0

d_0
Level 4

Hi all-  We are at EV 2007 (no sp's)  was looking at upgrading to latest SP(5)  for 2007 or maybe go directly to ver 8.0

Reason for going to version 8  was that i was looking for BlackBerry support for EV which i am sure i read about was happening in ver 8 ..but cant seem to find any mention of it now ? ---

We have 800 or so users , i wanted to not have to upgrade all clients at time of server upgrade -  do i have to upgrade clients if i stay with the 7.5 to  7.5p5 option , like wise if i go directly to ver 8 can i leave all my clients as 2007 - i seem to remember posts on this forum with issues having EV 8 server with 2007 outlook addins

Main push for upgrade is to get OWA 2007 working with EV (and was advised need sp4 and above for this ??) , externally OWA works but the EV side is not setup -- also any tips on ISA 2006 setup i need to do ..

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Always the recommendation is to be at the latest and greatest. So with EV8 SP2 due for release on 15th July then that would be what you can go straight to from EV2007 base.

Also you are correct there is Mobile SUpport in EV8 SP2

Regarding clients again the recommendation is that you have the same client and server versions but obviously this is sometimes not achievable. You can stay on EV2007 clients and be on EV8 server but obviously you get none of the benefits of the latest and greatest client.

Regarding ISA 2006 there is documentation out there and think there is an installation guide in the articles section of this website. If not then let me know and I will dig it out for you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Always the recommendation is to be at the latest and greatest. So with EV8 SP2 due for release on 15th July then that would be what you can go straight to from EV2007 base.

Also you are correct there is Mobile SUpport in EV8 SP2

Regarding clients again the recommendation is that you have the same client and server versions but obviously this is sometimes not achievable. You can stay on EV2007 clients and be on EV8 server but obviously you get none of the benefits of the latest and greatest client.

Regarding ISA 2006 there is documentation out there and think there is an installation guide in the articles section of this website. If not then let me know and I will dig it out for you.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello,

If you use DA, and you want to keep the information there, you need to upgrade to 2007SP5.
That seems to be the only SP which keeps DA information when upgrading to 8.0

I suggest waiting for 8SP2 (15 july) then upgrade.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

jprknight-oldax
Level 6
I can speak from our own experience only as we have recently upgraded from 7.5 SP1 to 7.5 SP5.

Our support queue went from 70% of incidents being related to EV down to perhaps 1 or 2%. The upgrade did not involve updating the client. We did have to upgrade the SP in one big bang.

Prior to the upgrade we virtualised the EV servers, with new installations, not P2V.

I think I would agree with the other people who have written on waiting on version 8.0 until SP2 comes out. No sense in putting in all the effort and additional support costs with the upgrade and then have to put in a new service pack when it becomes available.

Jeremy.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If I recall correctly, you can't upgrade from 2007 with no sp directly to 8. I believe you have to have at least SP1 on there in order to do so.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Guys, 15th of july is not good for SP2 release, as I will be busy installing Windows 7.... :) :)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GertjanA
Michel,

You're giving me a headstart ?? Thanks.

Enjoy 7

GJ
Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
And as per the UpgradeInstructions.htm of 8.0 and 8.0SP1:

8.0 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321953.htm:

This document describes how to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0 from any version of Enterprise Vault 2007.

The only possible server upgrade path to Enterprise Vault 2008 is from Enterprise Vault 2007. If your Enterprise Vault servers are running an earlier version of Enterprise Vault you must first upgrade to Enterprise Vault 2007 before you can upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0.

(What the f@#& is Enterprise Vault 2008 ??? :) )

8.0 SP1 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/298949.htm:

Server upgrade paths

This document describes how to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP1 from Enterprise Vault 8.0 or from any version of Enterprise Vault 2007.

The only possible server upgrade paths to Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP1 are from Enterprise Vault 8.0 or Enterprise Vault 2007. If your Enterprise Vault servers are running a version of Enterprise Vault that is older than Enterprise Vault 2007 you must first upgrade to Enterprise Vault 2007 and then upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP1.

Cheeeeers
Michel

MichelZ
Level 6
;)

Hope we get 7 support for the client in SP3!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 LOL :)

bukle
Level 4
I have a problem with EV. We outrolled ev7.5 sp4. When user starts outlook she/he gets message "Valkyrie.dll can not be installed or loaded. I stop outlook en I open C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient, than install ResetEVClient.exe to get the archievebuttens in Outlook.  What can i do to solve this problem ones and for all.?

TonySterling
Bukie,
Please start a new post for your discussion.  This one has been marked as solved and is different topic.

Regards,