cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Discovery Accelerator 9.0

rnt123
Level 5

Hello, I am in the planning stages of an upgrade of EV 8.0 SP2 to Ev 9.0. This is a single EV server environment, but there is another server running Discovery Accelerator which is also on version 8.0 SP2. According to the upgrade notes, the only supported upgrade paths for DA 9.0 are from versions 2007 SP6 and 8.0 SP4. Does this mean I will first have to upgrade to 8.0 SP4, and then upgrade to 9.0 afterwards? Also, should I upgrade the DA server first before the EV server?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Just to clarify the process:

1) upgrade both servers directly to EV9

2) upgrade DA to V8sp4

3) upgrade DA to V9

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

You are correct you would need to service pack the DA server prior to upgrade.

I would personally upgrade DA first, as a DA 9 server can talk to an EV8 server. but DA 8 cant talk to EV9.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Don't upgrade DA first. DA has a requirement for EV binaries to be installed first. 

Upgrade to EV8 SP4 and EV9 using the below outline for both

Stop all EV and DA services on both servers

Backup everything

Upgrade EV on the Archiving server using the upgrade process as outlined in the docs

When EV is finished

Upgrade the binaries on the DA server but do not run the config only install the binaries

Next upgrade the DA following the upgrade instructions that came with DA

Once you are sure all is working on EV8 SP4 repeat the process for EV9

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

You can install the API on the DA sever tho, and from the compat charts DA/CA 9 can talk to EV 8 all sp's. Or am I missing your point Scanner?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

You are correct about it's ability to talk to EV8 but.. All support always recommend stopping the DA side and upgrading EV first then later go back to DA and perform the update. It has always been recommended upgrading the core first the take care of the peripherals once the core upgrade was successful

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

But in that case you cant keep using DA until you have upgraded EV. If you upgrade DA first, you could wait until EV is upgrade at a later point with no loss of function.

On another note I have spoken with a product manager at SYMC who suggested running DA 9 with EV8. This was due to my need of some bits in DA9 but an inability to use EV9.

Essentially tho we are arguing a non-event cheeky

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Yes we are talking Symantecs hahahahah

rnt123
Level 5

Well, both servers will be upgraded during the same maintenance window, so availability is not an issue. Could the EV 8.0 SP2 server be upgraded directly to EV 9.0? I would prefer to only go through the process once. (I understand that with the DA server I have to do the SP upgrade first before going to 9.)

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

You can upgrade from any version of EV8 to EV9

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Just to clarify the process:

1) upgrade both servers directly to EV9

2) upgrade DA to V8sp4

3) upgrade DA to V9

rnt123
Level 5

Great. So does it matter if I upgrade the DA server first, since both will be done with an hour of each other? DA before EV was the recommendation from Symantec support; I just wanted to hear what the experts here have dealt in the "real world". 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Yes this will work

Make sure you run the Deployment scanner before each upgrade on each server to ensure that you meet all the pre req's for each version upgrade

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

We all have our different views. Mine is EV first then DA later but thats what i have always been told by Symantec and my preference is to do the core software first which is EV

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Well I would do DA first as I said before. If that upgrades successfully and the EV upgrade fails for what ever reason you dont have to roll back the DA server, and the next window you only have one server to upgrade.

However it shouldnt really make any difference, Da or EV first is fine I reckon, its just up to how you want to do it. I like DA then EV Scanner likes EV then DA.

rnt123
Level 5

OK. So the upgrade of EV went smooth, but after upgrading DA when I try to launch the DA client (after upgrading it to 9) it say the administrator must upgrade the database before you can connect to it. Even though I upgraded the database through the admin console, and restarted the service.

It looks like it did not see that the upgrade took place. Any suggestions?

Current Status

Version: 8.0 SP2 revision 51
 State: Upgrade
 Customer's tasks:  Stopped

rnt123
Level 5

Cancel that. I just had to right click and choose upgrade and after a few minutes, all was well!

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Congrats on a successful upgrade! Please mark a solution in this thread so to close it off.