cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-Discovery (Clearwell, Discovery Collector and Discovery Accelerator)

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

Does anyone know if Symantec will only be supporting a single e-Discovery product in the future? As of now; it seems like on of these products provide more features than others. However; each of them has something specific that the others don't have which makes it difficult to use without assuring it is integrated with Enterprise Vault Archived data.

Example:

1. Discovery Collector: Can expand ZIP files and PST files to allow them to be searchable?
  2. “Clearwell” cannot search within ZIP files and PST files, but it provides various functionality when searching or producing items that “Discovery Collector” or “Discovery Accelerator” does not provide.
  3. “Discovery Accelerator” cannot search within ZIP files and PST files and formats for producing items is less than what “Clearwell” provides.

However,

1. If the e-discovery Life Cycle includes “Enterprise Vault” data; then “Discovery Accelerator” will be able to search within PST and ZIP files whether data was archived using Enterprise Vault functionality, or copied using Discovery Collector data into an Enterprise Vault archive.
  2. If the e-discovery Life Cycle includes “Enterprise Vault” data; then “Clearwell” Legal Hold functionality (Once the NEXT release is available) will truly apply “Legal Hold” functionality as it can be applied without notifying the “end user” that a litigation is undergoing. I find it to be a “Security Risk” if  a user is under investigation, and we are notifying them to not DELETE data during the “Identification” and “Preservation” steps using “Clearwell” without “Enterprise Vault”. Do you agree? This may be a misunderstanding on how it works at my end.

Also,

Does anyone know an estimated date on when the next “Clearwell” release will be available to allow “Legal Hold” on Enterprise Vault archived data?

Thanks,

Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can expect Discovery Collector to be EOL very soon. 

In regards to Clearwell not searching within zip files, I think you are mistaken.  The following is from the Admin docs:

"In container extraction, container files (such as ZIP and RAR files) are examined and have their contained files extracted and processed as individual files for analysis, review, and production."

I have heard from reliable and many sources that the EV integration with Clearwell will be released this quarter.  This will allow Clearwell to search EV archives, do direct collection from EV, and do in place legal holds.

I imaging DA will continued to be sold but not emphasized as much.  I think DA will continue to have a place in the market for smaller companies or ones that don't need as a robust eDiscovery tool.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling

You can expect Discovery Collector to be EOL very soon. 

In regards to Clearwell not searching within zip files, I think you are mistaken.  The following is from the Admin docs:

"In container extraction, container files (such as ZIP and RAR files) are examined and have their contained files extracted and processed as individual files for analysis, review, and production."

I have heard from reliable and many sources that the EV integration with Clearwell will be released this quarter.  This will allow Clearwell to search EV archives, do direct collection from EV, and do in place legal holds.

I imaging DA will continued to be sold but not emphasized as much.  I think DA will continue to have a place in the market for smaller companies or ones that don't need as a robust eDiscovery tool.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

Tony,

Thanks for your feedback! Do you know where I can find the "Admin" docs for "Clearwell"? I can't find the PDF file on Symantec's knowledge base.

My "ZIP" and "PST" file question about "Clearwell" seems to be lack of knowledge on the application functionality at my  end. It may be something I need to do more research but I reviewed a Symantec presentation indicating that "Keyword" filtering will not apply to container files. Is this something different?

Thanks again for your help!

Dennis

TonySterling

Hey Dennis,

I got the docs from Clearwell's site.  Your a partner right?  So you should be able to get access as well.  I will send you a pm with the person I worked with.

Cheers,

Tony

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Dennis

I thnk you should work with your partner account manager to arrange some information on the Clearwell eDiscovery platform. I believe it remove any mis-information you may hear.

Clearwell is not simular to DA as DA does a discovery of the content in the archive and keeps the data in the archive. Clearwell being a far more advanced eDiscovery tool will have the ability to search the archive contents (Exchange and Domino journal and mailbox archives initially and later in 2012 will be expanded to cover additional archive types) and it then collects the data from the archive which it uses to create the advanced indexing and analyitcs which makes Clearwell the powerfull eDiscovery tool.

The ability to place content within Enterprise Vault is coming and acording to the roadmap that is being used by the Clearwell staff to customers, it is hoped in the latter half of this year but no definitive dates yet.

I'm sure you can work with your Account manager to get more information on the product roadmap.

Also I believe the Clearwell accreditation for partners is available so if you want to go that route, again work with your partner account manager

If you are not a partner and are looking to learn more contact your Symantec accout rep and they will arrange demonstrations of the product for you and answer any technical or operational questions you may have on the Clearwell eDiscovery Platform

TonySterling

Hey Liam,

I sent Dennis the contact info so he could get set up with the Clearwell site so he should be good to go.

I am looking forward to the full EV/Clearwell integration!!  :)

Cheers,

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Exciting times and they are just going to get better yes

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

I got my SSE/SSE+ for CLEARWELL and received further documentation from the POC provided above. However the documents provided describe features or high-level workflow on this e-discovery application. Any information available on how to intall, configure or administer the application?

Is this something that we (Partner) may need to bring up to our Account Manager as well?

Please advise,

Thanks,

Dennis

TonySterling

You probably shouldif you did not get a login for the Clearwell Support Portal at www.clearwellsystems.com. All their documentation is there, installation guide, checklist, etc..

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Dennis,

This is covered as part of the STS accreditation for Partners

The STS is being developed as we speak. I don't have a time-frame yet but if you wish to discuss further send me a message through connect with your contact details and I will call you and we can discuss further.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

If you think the integration will be good wait until you see Predictive Coding that was announced at Legaltech this year. That's really worth waiting for